+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I Sponsor my Fiance before We are Married?

Sherry112

Feb 16, 2013
I am from Canada. My fiance is from the US. We want to be married in Canada and he would also like to immigrate to Canada. Can I sponsor him prior to our marriage or must we be married first? If he comes in on a temporary Visa, can he apply for permanent residency within Canada after the marriage or would he have to return to the US to do so? If he has to return, does he have to return to the place of original residence or could he simply go across the border to apply and then renew his temporary visa.

Next question. I have a disability and receive a disability pension. Could I even sponsor him? My parents are willing to sponsor him but would that be allowed?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You must either be married or common law to file the sponsorship application. Common law means you have lived together at the same physical address for a minimum of one full year.

Read the first post here for more information about how to file the application:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-t46995.0.html

Your parents cannot sponsor him. You can sponsor him as long as you are on disability rather than social assistance / welfare.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
You can include a letter from your parents saying they will help support him when he gets to Canada (free housing, food, etc).

He can be in or outside of Canada for sponsorship. You can apply "Outland" even inside. As long as he's okay with no being allowed to work, he will probably be allowed to stay in Canada while his application is processed. (I'm on my 19 month as a visitor - haven't left. I'm American too.)

It's also okay if he goes back to the USA while he waits.

sunshinee

Jan 24, 2013
I got denied

Goodmorning everyone and scylla,

Im from Israel and waiting eagerly, desperately and i lost some sleep for two months. I am hoping to get a positive answer from immigration. I cant wait for the answer so I went again to the immigration to find out the status of my papers. On valentines day I got the saddest news ever I felt a very cold water poured on me as i heard from the receptionist that my papers had been refused they said they just mailed my docs and i will find out the reason why I got denied. I have all the qualification as a elderly caregiver and also I took a caregiver training back home pilipinas. I recieved email from imm on december 2012 asking what's my connection to my prospective employer in canada which is my brother in law. Second week of January I went to the immigration office the reception told me still reviewing by the consule.First week of February my employer in canada email the imm and advice them still in process and they will find out shortly. Is that the reason why they refused my papers? Coz we are related not in blood though. Its so sad though knowing that my friends who apply the same time with me are leaving to canada this month. I know God has a better plan for me. But life must go on. I dont want to sit back and feel sorry for myself. My sister in law wants to sponsor me to care for her baby now, Im afraid that I will go through the same situation again. Is it against the canadian immgration to sponsor a relatives as a caregiver. Do you think im qualified coz I dont have experience as a child caregiver abroad. I took a caregiving training and I have two kids which I look after when Im back home. Is this enough to satisfied the imm. Thank you so much guys for your advice. God bless you all

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Re: I got denied

sunshinee said:

Im from Israel and waiting eagerly, desperately and i lost some sleep for two months. I am hoping to get a positive answer from immigration. I cant wait for the answer so I went again to the immigration to find out the status of my papers. On valentines day I got the saddest news ever I felt a very cold water poured on me as i heard from the receptionist that my papers had been refused they said they just mailed my docs and i will find out the reason why I got denied. I have all the qualification as a elderly caregiver and also I took a caregiver training back home pilipinas. I recieved email from imm on december 2012 asking what's my connection to my prospective employer in canada which is my brother in law. Second week of January I went to the immigration office the reception told me still reviewing by the consule.First week of February my employer in canada email the imm and advice them still in process and they will find out shortly. Is that the reason why they refused my papers? Coz we are related not in blood though. Its so sad though knowing that my friends who apply the same time with me are leaving to canada this month. I know God has a better plan for me. But life must go on. I dont want to sit back and feel sorry for myself. My sister in law wants to sponsor me to care for her baby now, Im afraid that I will go through the same situation again. Is it against the canadian immgration to sponsor a relatives as a caregiver. Do you think im qualified coz I dont have experience as a child caregiver abroad. I took a caregiving training and I have two kids which I look after when Im back home. Is this enough to satisfied the imm. Thank you so much guys for your advice. God bless you all
We can't tell you why you were refused. You will have to wait until you receive the letter from CIC explaining the reasons for refusals. Common reasons for refusal are: lack of required experience, lack of required education, weak ties to home country and CIC believes you have plans to remain in Canada long term. Again, you'll have to wait until you receive the official letter.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013

sunshinee said:

Qualifications for elderly caregiver and child caregiver are different. Child caregiver must have child specific training.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have heard of other cases of people being refused as a caregiver because they are related to the employer. If you have qualifications as a caregiver of the elderly, look for an older person as an employer. I am sure there are plenty of people who need care. This is why they have a live-in caregiver program.

Phantom2013

Feb 18, 2013

sunshinee said:
I think that our Government is smartening up nowadays. Why does your brother-in-law have to hire from Israel. There are a lot of nannies in Canada. Every Filipina has come here the same way. I think you and your brother in law are just trying to get around the system and I believe that the immigration office feels the ame.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013

Phantom2013 said:
sunshinee said:
I think that our Government is smartening up nowadays. Why does your brother-in-law have to hire from Israel. There are a lot of nannies in Canada. Every Filipina has come here the same way. I think you and your brother in law are just trying to get around the system and I believe that the immigration office feels the ame.
Not necessarily. We get nannies from "Western" countries like Italy and Australia. Pinays happen to be popular because of their work ethic / they don't complain about abusive employers.

sunshinee

Jan 24, 2013

Hi scylla you dont mind if you can pm me pls? I have some question to ask if that okey with you.

Amalfi

Nov 17, 2017
Hi, can my fiance come to Canada on a tourist visa and I can start sponsorship application within Canada? He is from Kosovo, living currently in Germany, he has work permit in Germany. Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, can my fiance come to Canada on a tourist visa and I can start sponsorship application within Canada? He is from Kosovo, living currently in Germany, he has work permit in Germany. Thanks.
You can try. However seeing as he's only in Germany temporarily - it may be quite difficult to be approved for the TRV.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Please don't drag up dead threads from 3 years ago.....start a new one.

If you meet the requirements of common-law, you can sponsor him now. It will all depend on whether you can get him a TRV or not if you do meet the common law definition. Otherwise you will have to wait until you are married or can meet the cohabitation requirement. Not sure how your husband in Turkey will feel about that though!

Reactions: Amalfi and Bryanna