+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I sponsor my aunt?

samstm

Apr 24, 2012
I'm Canadian citizen. I have no relative in Canada. I do not have a spouse. Parents are deceased. No brother or sister. 3 of the 4 grandparents are deceased. Can I sponsor my aunt (my father's sister)? She has 3 children (ages 23, 21, 19). Is the dependent age limit 18? If I don't want to sponsor her, can I sponsor my cousin (her son) instead?

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - it sounds like you can sponsor your aunt. None of her children can be included as dependents. They are unfortunately too old (yes - the limit age is 18).

No - you cannot sponsor a cousin.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
scylla said:
Yes - it sounds like you can sponsor your aunt. None of her children can be included as dependents. They are unfortunately too old (yes - the limit age is 18).
Wouldn't the surviving grandparent take precedent over any other relative, since they can be sponsored under available PGP program?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Rob_TO said:
Wouldn't the surviving grandparent take precedent over any other relative, since they can be sponsored under available PGP program?
1. No there is no precedent for the 1 relative. It says, if you don't have a spouse/child/parent/ and you don't have a Aunt/Uncle/Niece/Nephew/Bro/Sis in Canada then you can sponsor 1 relative and their dependents.

samstm

Apr 24, 2012
Surviving grandparent was one of the main reason for my question. You guys are already spot on! Her is the 2nd part. What if I end up getting married while the sponsorship of my aunt is still in process? Would that affect it?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
PMM said:
Hi

1. No there is no precedent for the 1 relative. It says, if you don't have a spouse/child/parent/ and you don't have a Aunt/Uncle/Niece/Nephew/Bro/Sis in Canada then you can sponsor 1 relative and their dependents.
Actually it does say grandparent:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/relatives-apply-who.asp
Option 2 – Other relative
You may sponsor one relative, related by blood or adoption, of any age if you meet all of the following conditions:
-you do not have a spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner, or one of the following living relatives you could sponsor instead:
son or daughter,
parent,
grandparent,
brother or sister,
uncle, aunt,
nephew or niece.
-you do not have any of the above-named relatives who is a:
Canadian citizen,
permanent resident, or
registered Indian under the Indian Act.

Since there is an existing immigration stream for grandparents, OP could sponsor them instead so wouldn't meet the "other relative" criteria. According to this, having a living grandparent here falls into exactly the same category as having a living parent.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
samstm said:
Surviving grandparent was one of the main reason for my question. You guys are already spot on! Her is the 2nd part. What if I end up getting married while the sponsorship of my aunt is still in process? Would that affect it?
Yes - it would affect it. I would mean you no longer qualify to sponsor.

samstm

Apr 24, 2012
Rob_TO said:
Actually it does say grandparent:

Option 2 – Other relative
You may sponsor one relative, related by blood or adoption, of any age if you meet all of the following conditions:
-you do not have a spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner, or one of the following living relatives you could sponsor instead:
son or daughter,
parent,
grandparent,
brother or sister,
uncle, aunt,
nephew or niece.
-you do not have any of the above-named relatives who is a:
Canadian citizen,
permanent resident, or
registered Indian under the Indian Act.

Since there is an existing immigration stream for grandparents, OP could sponsor them instead so wouldn't meet the "other relative" criteria. According to this, having a living grandparent here falls into exactly the same category as having a living parent.
Actually, aunt is in the same category too as you can see in the list you posted above. Is this lit followed in order like from top to bottom? If not then I should be able to able to sponsor any one of those...no? If it has to be grandparent first then that would suck for me because i have no ties to the living grandparent....havent seen him in 20 years.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
samstm said:
Actually, aunt is in the same category too as you can see in the list you posted above. Is this lit followed in order like from top to bottom? If not then I should be able to able to sponsor any one of those...no? If it has to be grandparent first then that would suck for me because i have no ties to the living grandparent....havent seen him in 20 years.
My interpretation is if there is an immigration stream already in existence to sponsor a relative, that is what you are expected to do. So since there is a PGP program already in place, that would take precedent over any other relative where there is no program for i.e. siblings, aunts/uncles, nieces/nephews.

It's explained a bit better here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf
5.24. Sponsoring one other relative regardless of age or relationship
Sponsors who do not have a living spouse or common-law partner, conjugal partner, a son or
daughter, father, mother, grandparent, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece, who is a
Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or any relative or family member who can be
sponsored as a member of the family class
, may sponsor one relative regardless of age or
relationship (anyone connected by blood or adoption).

Since parents/grandparents fall under members of the family class (read this page, and "family class" is mentioned multiple times: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5772ETOC.asp ), having any existing parent or grandparent alive anywhere in the world should exclude you from sponsoring an "other" relative. At least that is my interpretation.

AAANURSE

Jan 30, 2016
Hi. I have a question. If I have a relative in Manitoba which is my Aunt. Her whole family is there (husband and children) can she sponsor me? I'm not married and currently working here in Qatar.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
AAANURSE said:
Hi. I have a question. If I have a relative in Manitoba which is my Aunt. Her whole family is there (husband and children) can she sponsor me? I'm not married and currently working here in Qatar.
No, she can't sponsor you.

If you apply independently under PNP program, having family in Canada may help in the application.

AAANURSE

Jan 30, 2016
Ahh so the best way for me is thru PNP program? But there are rules if your a registered nurse as i've read in their site.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
AAANURSE said:
Ahh so the best way for me is thru PNP program? But there are rules if your a registered nurse as i've read in their site.
You need to post to the PNP section of the forum. This section is for Canadians sponsoring family members.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
samstm said:
yes you are disqualified to sponsor your aunt over the fact you have grandparents.

However if in the event you didnt have any grandparents, you would qualify to sponsor your aunt. However the moment you get married before your aunt landed as PR, she becomes disqualified since you are "no longer alone" in Canada.