+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I renounce my pr status?

Nov 3, 2017
Hello!

I have recently received a refusal on my PRTD application. They told me I need to wait for 60 days until the appeal period expires so that I can apply for an eTA. However, I am wondering if I can just apply for a voluntarily renounce my pr status and apply for the eTA straight away. My question is if there is any point of submitting such application or since they have refuse this basically means that I already lost my status as a permanent resident?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello!

I have recently received a refusal on my PRTD application. They told me I need to wait for 60 days until the appeal period expires so that I can apply for an eTA. However, I am wondering if I can just apply for a voluntarily renounce my pr status and apply for the eTA straight away. My question is if there is any point of submitting such application or since they have refuse this basically means that I already lost my status as a permanent resident?
1. If you have no intention to appeal, then renounce. If you don't appeal, in 60 days your PR status is gone.

R

rish888

Hello!

You need to ask yourself what you want.

Do you only want to go to Canada as a tourist? (Both now and in the future) Waive appeal rights and get an eta.

Do you want to live in Canada for the next year or two? If so, appeal, enter Canada from the U.S. (by boat, train, car etc) and get a 1 year renewable PR card. Appeal hearings don't come quickly.

Do you want to move back to Canada for good? If the answer is yes:

Do you still qualify for PR under Express Entry/Spousal Sponsorship? If yes, waive your appeal rights, get an eta, and begin the fresh PR process.

If you don't qualify for new PR, file an appeal, get to Canada ASAP, and stay and establish yourself as much as possible, hoping to win an appeal.

My opinion is that there is no one correct answer. You need to consider what you want and act based on that.

Nov 3, 2017
You need to ask yourself what you want.

Do you only want to go to Canada as a tourist? (Both now and in the future) Waive appeal rights and get an eta.

Do you want to live in Canada for the next year or two? If so, appeal, enter Canada from the U.S. (by boat, train, car etc) and get a 1 year renewable PR card. Appeal hearings don't come quickly.

Do you want to move back to Canada for good? If the answer is yes:

Do you still qualify for PR under Express Entry/Spousal Sponsorship? If yes, waive your appeal rights, get an eta, and begin the fresh PR process.

If you don't qualify for new PR, file an appeal, get to Canada ASAP, and stay and establish yourself as much as possible, hoping to win an appeal.

My opinion is that there is no one correct answer. You need to consider what you want and act based on that.
Thank you for your answer. Yes, I would like to enter as a tourist at the moment. I have one more question if you could help me that would be wonderful. I am now filling in the application for voluntarily renouncing my PR status. Question number 9 b asks: ''Are you a permanent resident of another country?'' and then 9 c asks : ''Which countries can you return to?''

What should I reply since I am not meeting the residency obligations therefore even if I still have a pr status, which has expired I still cannot enter the country.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Where are you from? They are asking where you currently live and where you have status to stay/live in that country.

Nov 3, 2017
Where are you from? They are asking where you currently live and where you have status to stay/live in that country.
Question 9a asks from which country do I have citizenship, so I already answered that. I am from Bulgaria but I have a pr card from Canada, which is expired. Giving this information, I wonder how should I answer the next question, which is the one I mentioned above. I am having difficulties because I don't know if I am still considered a permanent resident when my card has expired. I have spoke with a lawyer and she told me that I still have the pr status, so this makes it even more confusing for me.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Question 9a asks from which country do I have citizenship, so I already answered that. I am from Bulgaria but I have a pr card from Canada, which is expired. Giving this information, I wonder how should I answer the next question, which is the one I mentioned above. I am having difficulties because I don't know if I am still considered a permanent resident when my card has expired. I have spoke with a lawyer and she told me that I still have the pr status, so this makes it even more confusing for me.
Sorry didn't read your post carefully. Yes the lawyer is correct although you don't meet the residency requirement you are still a Canadian permanent resident. Some people seem to collect permanent residencies so that is why they are asking which countries do you have PR.