+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I renew my study permit from outside of Canada?

Danagirl

May 10, 2014
so...I have researched the CIC website, and it says one should apply for a study permit renewal from inside Canada. The problem is I didn't realize that until I got home, which is Thailand. Another thing is that my visa and study permit are going to expire in August, which is before I get back to Canada in September. Thus, my question is that should I apply for a new visa and a new study permit? or is there a way to renew a permit from outside of Canada?

propain

Champion Member
Sep 1, 2013
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why would you renew your study permit.

Did u mean a work permit. If so, you can apply online.

dok

Apr 20, 2014
Please note that ignorance of the law is no excuse!!! I hope you already have an address in Canada. Apply for renewal of study permit online and use your Canadian address. Go to Canada before your current TRV expires. So assuming it expires on 30th August, then consider going to Canada before August 30th. However, if renewal of your study permit is approved, but you still can't go to Canada before your TRV expires, then apply for TRV in Thailand. However, you must know that there can delays/difficulties and you might not be able to go as planned. It's always better to renew TRV or Study Permits in Canada before you leave.

Danagirl

May 10, 2014
propain said:
Why would you renew your study permit.

Did u mean a work permit. If so, you can apply online.
I meant a study permit. Actually, my passport is expiring in August 2014, so my initial study permit and visa cannot be valid beyond the validation of my passport. Since I just applied for a new passport, I now have to apply for renewal of both the permit and the visa.

Anyway...
Is there another option other than renewing my permit from inside Canada? Can I just apply for new TRV and study permit from Thailand?

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's not true. If an expired passport contains a valid visa counterfoil and you present it together with your new passport to the CBSA officer, it's still valid since the expiration of the travel document has no effect on the visa validity.

dok

Apr 20, 2014
Diplomatru said:
That's not true. If an expired passport contains a valid visa counterfoil and you present it together with your new passport to the CBSA officer, it's still valid since the expiration of the travel document has no effect on the visa validity.
Diplomatru, Danagirl's TRV and study visa expires in August 2014 (irrespective of the expiring date of her passport - here she didn't clarify). And she intends to enter Canada in September 2014: which means she'll have expired TRV in her expired or unexpired passport. So the issue of traveling with a valid TRV in an expired passport together with a new passport doesn't hold in her cicumstance.

Danagirl, as I said before you can apply online to renew your study permit in Canada. If your TRV is till valid (irrespective of whether it's in an expired passport), you can still travel to Canada. In all cases you need to make sure that your study permit renewal has been approved before you fly to Canada in September. You may also consult the Canadian embassy in Thailand to find out if it's possible to apply for study permit renewal from their office. If there're VFS at your area, then rather consult them.

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dok said:
Diplomatru, Danagirl's TRV and study visa expires in August 2014 (irrespective of the expiring date of her passport - here she didn't clarify). And she intends to enter Canada in September 2014: which means she'll have expired TRV in her expired or unexpired passport. So the issue of traveling with a valid TRV in an expired passport together with a new passport doesn't hold in her cicumstance.
Dear Dok, I get your point, but that being said, wouldn't it be more reasonable to get the maximum out of the current documents and take an early flight to Canada? I heard it on the fences that getting a TRV or renewing an SP from within Canada is much more hassle-free than applying abroad? Of course, I am not aware of Danagirl's personal circumstances, but personally I would prefer to do it this way.

dok

Apr 20, 2014
Diplomatru said:
Dear Dok, I get your point, but that being said, wouldn't it be more reasonable to get the maximum out of the current documents and take an early flight to Canada? I heard it on the fences that getting a TRV or renewing an SP from within Canada is much more hassle-free than applying abroad? Of course, I am not aware of Danagirl's personal circumstances, but personally I would prefer to do it this way.
I agree with you, Diplomatru)) It's better she goes back to Canada earlier than she originally planned. I think she has already been advised of that. And I hope she reads our conversation here and take the option of renewing her documents in Canada which is normally ''hassle-free''.

Danagirl, is it totally impossible for you to take a flight to Canada before July to renew your study permit? Have you consulted the Canadian mission responsible for immigration and visa issues at your area about this?

Danagirl

May 10, 2014
Dok and Diplomatru, Thank you for your concern. I have already contacted the Canadian Embassy in my country, and it seems that I will have to apply for a new study permit and a new TRV instead from within Thailand. I agree that it would be great if I could go back to Canada in order to renew my study permit. Unfortunately, I cannot due to the fact that I do not have a place to stay before September 1st. My friends and I rent a house over there, but the contract does not start until September 1st. Thus, I will have to do whatever I can from within Thailand instead.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Danagirl said:
Dok and Diplomatru, Thank you for your concern. I have already contacted the Canadian Embassy in my country, and it seems that I will have to apply for a new study permit and a new TRV instead from within Thailand. I agree that it would be great if I could go back to Canada in order to renew my study permit. Unfortunately, I cannot due to the fact that I do not have a place to stay before September 1st. My friends and I rent a house over there, but the contract does not start until September 1st. Thus, I will have to do whatever I can from within Thailand instead.

You will get TRV, not SP in Thailand. You get new SP at port of entry, or get it renewed inside Canada.

sajid785

Mar 30, 2023
Hi there,
I'm Sajid Hasan. I have a Question. Can I extend my study permit outside of Canada I mean from my back home? Actually I came Canada for high school grade 12 in October 2022. I got my Study Permit valid till 26th October 2023 and my TRV will expire in 31st December 2023. Now I have completed my high school program. I got my final transcripts. I'm waiting for my OSLT it will come in June. So, How IRCC will count my high school program completion in march or June? I got an LOA letter in January 2024. If I extend my study permit with that it will show gap for 9 months if they count my high school completion in March and 6 month gap if they count as june because I will get my OSSD certificate in July and I can't gap my study for 150 days if I do I will loose my status.
What should I do?

powerisnow

Apr 18, 2023
@Danagirl I am facing the same issue. I am in India and my study permit expired (hence TRV) on 31 July 2023. I submitted a TRV application on 29 June 2023. I got a revert that you have no legal status in Canada, hence you cannot get the TRV. I am in India right now. How can I extend my study permit from India.