+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I renew my biometrics to extend validity of an approved tourist visa?

MoeDeFex

Jan 9, 2024
Thanks for your answers.

In my case, it is for a visitor visa. The only option/question related to biometrics was when the application asked if I had given biometrics in the past ten years (which I have). Same situation as the OP.

Now that I am asked to send my passport, I got another letter saying:

Code:
...Please keep this letter for future reference. Your biometric information must be valid for the duration of your temporary stay in Canada...

...However, if you wish to extend the validity of your permit or visa beyond the validity date
indicated above you can provide your biometric information again and pay the associated
fee for another ten-year validity.
I've been navigating the IRCC website and the process is not clear. I sent a message through one of the contact Web Forms to request the Biometric Instruction Letter after paying the fees through the online services (https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/ols/login.do?&app=epay&page=viewallreceipts&lang=en).

Now I'm waiting for an answer.
Quick update: I got the BIL :)

I took this as a reference: https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1513&top=19

This is exactly what I did:
  1. I paid the biometrics fee through the online services https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/ols/login.do?&app=epay&page=viewallreceipts&lang=en
  2. I sent a Web Form through https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/contact-ircc/web-form.html where I added the receipt and a letter indicating my situation and requesting the BIL. In the Web Form, you have to add your application Id.
  3. A few days later, I got a message stating that the documents were added to the application.
  4. I sent a new Web Form through the same link asking about BIL and indicating that I didn't have enough time left to send the passport.
  5. A week later I got a message in my application with the BIL.

ZobamE

Jan 28, 2024
Yes I had to reapply for super visa with biometric renewal selected in the application check box for biometric
Thanks for this response. Please when you reapplied what happened.
1. Did you get the approval/letter to go for another biometrics.
2. Did the new application cancel the visa approval you already have?
3. Did the new application extend the 30 days period given to drop your passport at VFS
Thanks

Last edited:

ZobamE

Jan 28, 2024
Yes you might have to apply again
3. Did the new application extend the 30 days period given to drop your passport at VFS

hoping to hear from you soon. I’m currently facing the same predicament.

Thanks

Last edited:

ZobamE

Jan 28, 2024
Thanks for your answers.

In my case, it is for a visitor visa. The only option/question related to biometrics was when the application asked if I had given biometrics in the past ten years (which I have). Same situation as the OP.

Now that I am asked to send my passport, I got another letter saying:

Code:
...Please keep this letter for future reference. Your biometric information must be valid for the duration of your temporary stay in Canada...

...However, if you wish to extend the validity of your permit or visa beyond the validity date
indicated above you can provide your biometric information again and pay the associated
fee for another ten-year validity.
I've been navigating the IRCC website and the process is not clear. I sent a message through one of the contact Web Forms to request the Biometric Instruction Letter after paying the fees through the online services (https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/ols/login.do?&app=epay&page=viewallreceipts&lang=en).

Now I'm waiting for an answer.
Thanks alot for your response. I wanted to ask if you eventually get the Biometrics letter and how long did it take. Thanks

Reactions: MoeDeFex

Asim.butt

Jul 25, 2023

hoping to hear from you soon. I’m currently facing the same predicament.

Thanks
So I reapplied for the visa after it was stamped. For the new application select the option for biometric needed, everything else being the same. Few days after the application submission I received the biometric letter and once biometrics were submitted the next letter was passport submission request and the new visa was stamped

ZobamE

Jan 28, 2024
So I reapplied for the visa after it was stamped. For the new application select the option for biometric needed, everything else being the same. Few days after the application submission I received the biometric letter and once biometrics were submitted the next letter was passport submission request and the new visa was stamped
Thanks Asim for the prompt response. I really appreciate this information. It’s very helpful. But let me be sure that I understand you clearly. So I don’t make a mistake.

So you submitted your passport to get the already approved Visa that will expire with the validity of the current biometrics. Within thr 30 days given.

Then you reapplied again immediately while the current visa is the valid and selected the option biometrics needed. And with that you got another approval to submit your passport for another visa.

Asim.butt

Jul 25, 2023
Thanks Asim for the prompt response. I really appreciate this information. It’s very helpful. But let me be sure that I understand you clearly. So I don’t make a mistake.

So you submitted your passport to get the already approved Visa that will expire with the validity of the current biometrics. Within thr 30 days given.

Then you reapplied again immediately while the current visa is the valid and selected the option biometrics needed. And with that you got another approval to submit your passport for another visa.
I did not notice the biometric expiry issue till passport was submitted and visa stamped. So I sent another application after that and then went through the process like mentioned earlier. So if you have a passport request pending submit the passport and also apply reapply as this new application will take a bit of time as well with biometric request and then processing till next passport request

Asim.butt

Jul 25, 2023
I did not notice the biometric expiry issue till passport was submitted and visa stamped. So I sent another application after that and then went through the process like mentioned earlier. So if you have a passport request pending submit the passport and also apply reapply as this new application will take a bit of time as well with biometric request and then processing till next passport request
Even getting biometric appointment can be challenging depending on which country you are applying from

ZobamE

Jan 28, 2024
Ok thanks so much. I understand now and appreciate your help. Thank you

MoeDeFex

Jan 9, 2024
Thanks alot for your response. I wanted to ask if you eventually get the Biometrics letter and how long did it take. Thanks
Yes, I got it. It took around two weeks. I posted a message in this thread but it's waiting for "approval" from a moderator. I can't even post an image of that message =/

MoeDeFex

Jan 9, 2024
I'm trying to post the message again:

I got the BIL without having to reapply.

I took this as a reference: https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1513&top=19

1. I paid the biometrics fee through the online services https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/ols/login.do?&app=epay&page=viewallreceipts&lang=en
  2. I sent a Web Form through https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/contact-ircc/web-form.html where I added the receipt and a letter indicating my situation and requesting the BIL. In the Web Form, you have to add your application Id.
  3. A few days later, I got a message stating that the documents were added to the application.
  4. I sent a new Web Form through the same link asking about BIL and indicating that I didn't have enough time left to send the passport.

ZobamE

Jan 28, 2024
I'm trying to post the message again:

I got the BIL without having to reapply.

Ok thanks a lot MoeDeFex. I had looked for the web form and filled and written my predicament accordingly. I also attached the biometrics letter and I got to drop my passport indicating that I wanted to extend the biometrics validity. But I haven’t paid for the biometrics so I didn’t include that. Hope this shouldn’t be a problem. Now I’m waiting for the response with my fingers crossed.

By the time they sent you the BIL did they extend the 30 days they gave you to drop your passport? Because with 2 weeks gone already waiting for their response and also getting a date for the biometrics. Won’t the 30 day period expire?

MoeDeFex

Jan 9, 2024
The BIL is your proof that you have paid the biometric fee. So I assume the payment is required before getting the letter.

Regarding the deadline to send the passport, I sent another Web Form requesting an extension of that deadline. However, I don't have an answer yet.

I will give my biometrics this week and will ask for advice directly in the VAC. I still have a few days to send the passport. I either leave my passport right after giving my biometrics or wait a few more days to send it.

ZobamE

Jan 28, 2024
The BIL is your proof that you have paid the biometric fee. So I assume the payment is required before getting the letter.

Regarding the deadline to send the passport, I sent another Web Form requesting an extension of that deadline. However, I don't have an answer yet.

I will give my biometrics this week and will ask for advice directly in the VAC. I still have a few days to send the passport. I either leave my passport right after giving my biometrics or wait a few more days to send it.
The problem is that I can’t even apply for biometrics online what more of paying. Because it’s still telling me that my biometrics is valid. How did you swing through this huddle to be able to apply and pay for the biometrics.