+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I remotely work for Canadian company from abroad ? And what kind of permit do I need?

Dhruvj96

Oct 26, 2017
I’m planning to remotely work a job, and stay abroad for a while ? So I studied here two years. So do I have to apply for a work permit ? Or I don’t because it’s a remote job ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I’m planning to remotely work a job, and stay abroad for a while ? So I studied here two years. So do I have to apply for a work permit ? Or I don’t because it’s a remote job ?
No work permit is required to work abroad for a Canadian company.

Reactions: Dhruvj96

Dhruvj96

Oct 26, 2017
Can a person be employed by a company directly which are some of this companies
well this is something that required training in person. I worked for them, for a year so I’m eligible for remote work. Well its something related to front end development.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
well this is something that required training in person. I worked for them, for a year so I’m eligible for remote work. Well its something related to front end development.
As long as you aren’t planning on counting the time working abroad to get PR it is fine.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
yes, but I think the remote work wouldn’t add to experience, it has to be inside canada I suppose
It will add to experience - but not to Canadian work experience. So if you work remotely for a year, you can use that work (assuming it's NOC 0/A/B, and meets the definition of work - paid, etc) to qualify under the FSW class. You won't get any extra points because it happens to be a Canadian company - it will simply be treated as foreign work.

MahiGad

Jul 10, 2018
It will add to experience - but not to Canadian work experience. So if you work remotely for a year, you can use that work (assuming it's NOC 0/A/B, and meets the definition of work - paid, etc) to qualify under the FSW class. You won't get any extra points because it happens to be a Canadian company - it will simply be treated as foreign work.
The following may be repetitive question. But, I just wanna clarify this.

I have a open work permit, and I work (NOC-A) for a Canadian organization . I need to stay in a different country for about 2 months. During this period, I will be working remotely. I will receive pay stubs for these 2 months, and taxes will be deducted in Canada. Can this 2 months be counted as Canadian work experience?

TIA

Reactions: Dhruvj96

Dhruvj96

Oct 26, 2017
The following may be repetitive question. But, I just wanna clarify this.

I have a open work permit, and I work (NOC-A) for a Canadian organization . I need to stay in a different country for about 2 months. During this period, I will be working remotely. I will receive pay stubs for these 2 months, and taxes will be deducted in Canada. Can this 2 months be counted as Canadian work experience?

TIA
Its two months so you should be good, I on the other hand will gone for quite a time, so I'll have the pay setup in my country of residence bank account, so that I dont end up owing tax to two countries

Dhruvj96

Oct 26, 2017
Has this job started? It is hard to tell based on your previous posts.
Not yet I just submitted my application for pgwp, I’m with the company but not converted into a remote employee, want to get some stuff done, and well I’m a bit confused should or should I not leave, Canada is like my guilty pleasure lol.