+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I reenter Canada on a still valid Work Visa but after having landed?

mattthedog

Oct 9, 2016
So the question is: wanna leave the country for a bit and still have a valid Work Visa that will expire on 31 Jan 2017.

I'm about to receive my Confirmation of PR any day now and planning on landing right after that.

The question is: since I won't be able to quickly receive my PR card can I return to Canada using the work visa before it expires?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
more than likely, no since i'm pretty sure work visas are not accepted for traveling to canada and it becomes invalid when your copr is issued.
are you visa exempt or do you require a visa to travel to canada? do you plan to return to canada before the ETA requirement starts in November?

mattthedog

Oct 9, 2016
Unfortunately, I'm not from the visa exempt country and will require visa. Currently I'm waiting for CORP to be mailed to me and will have to land and wait for the PR card that may take a long time to get processed. (60 days officially, possibly way longer in reality)

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
mattthedog said:
Unfortunately, I'm not from the visa exempt country and will require visa. Currently I'm waiting for CORP to be mailed to me and will have to land and wait for the PR card that may take a long time to get processed. (60 days officially, possibly way longer in reality)
then more than likely you will need a PRTD to travel back to canada, or you can have your PR card mailed to you from a friend in canada if someone is available to do so.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
mattthedog said:
So the question is: wanna leave the country for a bit and still have a valid Work Visa that will expire on 31 Jan 2017.

I'm about to receive my Confirmation of PR any day now and planning on landing right after that.

The question is: since I won't be able to quickly receive my PR card can I return to Canada using the work visa before it expires?
Until you complete the actual landing procedure, you are still a "Foreign National" and subject to the same visa provisions as currently apply. The moment that you complete the landing, you cease to be a "Foreign National" and are no longer able to legally use any visa or work permit that you have been issued, regardless of if they have been physically cancelled or not. The answer therefore is "no".