+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I re-sponsor my wife for PR if she looses PR for RO

crazy123

Jul 12, 2014
Hi Experts,

I need your help in resolving following situation.

Me and my wife took PR in year 2014 beginning and came back to USA. Now the time to maintain PR is almost running out. I have to enter CA by November end and my wife has to enter 15 days after to maintain PR. What we are deciding is this (for the sake of kids' education).

I will enter Canada and continue to stay for 2 years and will ensure I meet RO. My wife will let go of her RO and probably will surrender her PR (I don't know what the term is exactly). Once I renew PR after 2 years from now (and after 5 years from getting PR), I will try to re-sponsor my wife and kids (kids are US Citizens). My questions are as below:

1. Will I be able to re-sponsor my wife after I meet my RO and continue to stay in Canada?
2. Will it be held against her that she could not meet her RO initially?
3. Considering that she is my wife and I have met all my obligations for PR, she would be eligible to get a PR again (i.e. it does not matter what happened in the past regarding first PR).
4. How fast is the PR sponsoring process? 6 months to a year or longer? Is is hassle free or a complicated process?
4. What are other alternatives? Is it that if the option above is not possible, I will have to first become Citizen before I can sponsor my wife and kids back in Canada?
5. How quick is sponsoring my wife and kids for a future PR on the basis my citizenship status? Is it a relatively hassle free and quick process (6 years to year)? Or is it a long drawn process (many years)
6. My kids are US citizens. Can they enter in Canada on a tourist visa and stay with me till the PR is through (so that they can continue education in Canada in case they cant continue education in USA?)

Thanks in advance. Would really help if anybody can answer these questions.

Thank you.

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Yes if you are PR then you can re sponsor your wife. But better to choose between USA and Canada. Getting a job is a big problem in Canada. I’m a PR and working in my home country. Also winter weather is severe in Canada.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment but some answers
1)yes
2)no affect on future applications just have to qualify again through the process
3)as per 2
4)upto 12 months and whilst forms can be confusing not really complicated can do yourself. No need to become a citizen but would need to ensure you have met RO.
5)as per 4
6) I cannot answer this question as all situations are different. Are your kids PRs currently ? Are you planning for them to renounce their PR status ? If so then attending school they will probably be classed as international students at cost. As said I defer to an expert on this question.

As for anyone planning to renounce PR status always follow this as a last resort and only renounce when absolutely necessary. So in your wife’s case at least not until the 5 years is up given there is always a chance things can change in years 4/5 as far as RO is concerned plus appeals are possible, whether ever successful is a different question.

Also if your kids are currently PRs and fail RO they could even pursue H&C route in the future on basis they were out of Canada with no choice.

Last edited:

crazy123

Jul 12, 2014
Thank you so much for your inputs. Really appreciate it. On #6, yes, kids are currently on PR and mostly I am planning to let it go as we want to continue their education in USA. Just one question, what is H&C route? Also thank you for suggestion regrading wife's PR. She has same dates as me, so may be we will surrender it in the last step (2 years from now).

crazy123

Jul 12, 2014
Yes if you are PR then you can re sponsor your wife. But better to choose between USA and Canada. Getting a job is a big problem in Canada. I’m a PR and working in my home country. Also winter weather is severe in Canada.
Hi, Thank you for your inputs. Is getting a job really so bad in Canada? Many my friends who immigrated there are living there comfortably and have big houses and all that. Would really help if you can provide some more info. I am really worried about this because some of friends have also given the same feedback to me that it is near impossible to get job in Canada. Please advise. Thanks.