+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I quit my job after receiving AOR?

santi.s

Jun 7, 2018
Hello,

I have currently submitted my Express Entry application and received my AOR along with clearing my medicals. My Canadian experience is based on my current job which was under a NOC B category. I have other offers in hand which I am looking to take up but fall under the NOC C category.

- Is it advisable to switch my job to a lower NOC before I receive my acceptance?
- Will it affect my points in any way?
- Do I have to report this change of employment to IRCC?
- What happens if my current employer refuses to corporate and during the background check claims that I did not work in my said position just to mess with me? (My boss is a hot head, does as he pleases and not a beliver of professionalism - Hence, the interest to leave the current job)
- Can the immigration officer refuse me based on the fact that I do not have a NOC B occupation any longer?

Please advice. Thank you in advance.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
- Is it advisable to switch my job to a lower NOC before I receive my acceptance?
It does not matter, unless you are claiming points for a valid job offer. CEC is pass/fail - you either qualify based on your work history (e.g, what happened in the past), or you don't. If you are claiming to have a valid job offer, then quitting obviously affects that : )

- Will it affect my points in any way?
See above.

- Do I have to report this change of employment to IRCC?
They like you to, just in case it does affect your application, but since it doesn't affect CEC, it doesn't really matter.

- What happens if my current employer refuses to corporate and during the background check claims that I did not work in my said position just to mess with me? (My boss is a hot head, does as he pleases and not a beliver of professionalism - Hence, the interest to leave the current job)

Well... what canadapub wrote above is true. HOWEVER, many applicants are so desperate to become PRs that they put themselves in intolerable (and often illegal) employment situations, and make themselves vulnerable to exploitation and abuse (e.g. by working off the books).

Regardless of your employer's temper, if you are legally employed by a legitimate company, you have employment records. If you quit, your employer is legally required to file a Record of Employment with Service Canada in a very short time frame - if he does not, you can enlist the assistance of Service Canada to get the ROE. Your employer would have to be a complete idiot to lie about your employment to the Federal government (either Service Canada or IRCC) if you have a T4, for example (it's a crime to lie to the Feds). For the sake of argument, if that were to happen, you could sue the pants off of your (former) employer. HOWEVER, all of that takes time, money, and is a big headache to be avoided if at all possible, could delay your PR application to the point where you would have to leave Canada, etc. SO you have to ask yourself, how much of a creep is he, and whether it would be worth sicking it out for a few more months

- Can the immigration officer refuse me based on the fact that I do not have a NOC B occupation any longer?

No.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: rezafc

RJ265

Dec 17, 2018
Hello everyone.

I need a suggestion on this.

I am FSW-O applicant. My AOR is 14 SEP and passed MEP on 12 Oct.

I have been on IP1 since then then.

Unfortunately, I lost my job on 30th Nov so 2 months after AOR .

So do I need to inform IRCC about job loss? The AOR letter says that only inform incase of family or contact changes and even immigration refusal rules (A11) says decisions must be made based on info provided at the time of application... so I am unsure.

Pls help

Reactions: s5773377

s5773377

Star Member
May 16, 2018
Hello everyone.

I need a suggestion on this.

I am FSW-O applicant. My AOR is 14 SEP and passed MEP on 12 Oct.

I have been on IP1 since then then.

Unfortunately, I lost my job on 30th Nov so 2 months after AOR .

So do I need to inform IRCC about job loss? The AOR letter says that only inform incase of family or contact changes and even immigration refusal rules (A11) says decisions must be made based on info provided at the time of application... so I am unsure.

Pls help
Can you please give updates with your situation ? Were you on closed wp ?

Thank you