+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I quit job anytime after I get my PR

cookiemung

Jun 10, 2010
I promised my employer that I work for certain period of time after I get pr status by PNP.

What if before the promised term expires I quit job, can my employer take any legal action or am I free to leave my company for any reason?

Just wondering. Thanks.

Janmyung

Star Member
May 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cookiemung said:
I promised my employer that I work for certain period of time after I get pr status by PNP.

What if before the promised term expires I quit job, can my employer take any legal action or am I free to leave my company for any reason?

Just wondering. Thanks.
Do you have anything in black and white? If not, it will all boil down to you keeping your promises though.

Hope42010

Star Member
Oct 15, 2009
Brazil
You are free to go at any time yet, do consider the following: Someone is counting on you and offered you an opportunity for a new life, ask yourself how will you feel if the situation was the oposite? What we do reflects on everyone future.

Stick to your word then once you are done move on.

sandy78

Star Member
Sep 10, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 28, 2010-to Manila
AOR Received.
Feb 4, 2010
Med's Request
Feb. 4, 2010
Med's Done....
March 16, 2010
Passport Req..
May13,2010
LANDED..........
aug 21, 2010
cookiemung said:

Just wondering. Thanks.

I guess not. If you did not sign any contract, or thru verbal promise only, your employer has nothing to do if you resign your job, otherwise he maybe liable for involuntary servitude which is against the law. Unless, of course, you signed a contract and you did not complete it, your employer can run after you for breach of contract.

However, if you resigned before the period you promised, it would turn out that you dont have word of honor.

scottish-lad

May 20, 2010
Hi. I have a question regarding this.
If i was to gain PR through PNP, doing say, Tourist guide, how long do I have to wait until I can leave that job.
I would like to honour and respect the oppertunity given, but i would not like to be a travel guide all my life, I wish to be a plumber.

So, how long would i then have to work as a tourist guide after being received PR ?

Hope42010

Star Member
Oct 15, 2009
Brazil
scottish-lad said:
Hi. I have a question regarding this.
If i was to gain PR through PNP, doing say, Tourist guide, how long do I have to wait until I can leave that job.
I would like to honour and respect the oppertunity given, but i would not like to be a travel guide all my life, I wish to be a plumber.

So, how long would i then have to work as a tourist guide after being received PR ?
After gaining PR stats you do whatever you want, there is no minimal time. To became a plumber you need to have certification in most provinces, if you already are a plumber back home, you may qualify to swap your license.

Good luck !

Watson65

Mar 11, 2011
USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cookiemung said:

Just wondering. Thanks.
Apparently it seems that he has charge to take action as he is authoritative in normal way. But second case could be that if your company's policy lets you go then it is fine.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scottish-lad said:

Talk to your employer but try to keep your word. I am sure that you did not promise him that you would be a tourist guide all your life for him but at least stay long enough for him to find someone else. It is the honest thing to do. When you apply for apprenticeship as a plumber, you can also get a nice reference from your former employer who is happy with you because you kept your word.