+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I purchase GIC when applying for permit through the regular process?

deegy

Nov 13, 2018
Hello,

I am a Filipino residing in UAE. I understand that I cannot apply permit through the Student Direct Stream (SDS) Program as I am not present in my home country. Therefore, I will be applying for study permit through the regular application process.

So I would like to know if I can still purchase GIC amounting to CAD 10,000 and use it as my proof of funds?

Appreciate those who can provide some advise... :)

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Hello,

I am a Filipino residing in UAE. I understand that I cannot apply permit through the Student Direct Stream (SDS) Program as I am not present in my home country. Therefore, I will be applying for study permit through the regular application process.

So I would like to know if I can still purchase GIC amounting to CAD 10,000 and use it as my proof of funds?

Yes, you can, kabayan :) The GIC is a valid proof of funds even for non SDS applicants

Reactions: deegy

deegy

Nov 13, 2018
Yes, you can, kabayan :) The GIC is a valid proof of funds even for non SDS applicants
Thank you very much kabayan! Your answer gives me more courage, this is my #1 problem in my application.

I took a loan here in UAE to pay for my tuition fee and GIC, i would also show my bank statement as a proof that I have extra money from my savings but that is not that big amount. I'm not earning plenty of money, you know. :)

Therefore, is it OK to mention about my loan on my SOP?

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Thank you very much kabayan! Your answer gives me more courage, this is my #1 problem in my application.

I took a loan here in UAE to pay for my tuition fee and GIC, i would also show my bank statement as a proof that I have extra money from my savings but that is not that big amount. I'm not earning plenty of money, you know. :)

Therefore, is it OK to mention about my loan on my SOP?
Pwede mo din i-mention, kabayan. As per IRCC:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/prepare/get-documents.html#doc3

Proof of financial support
You must prove that you can support yourself, and the family members who come with you, while you are in Canada.

You can prove your funds with:

• proof of a Canadian bank account in your name, if you have transferred money to Canada
  • Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating Canadian financial institution
  • proof of a student/education loan from a bank
  • your bank statements for the past four months
  • a bank draft that can be converted to Canadian dollars
  • proof you paid tuition and housing fees
  • a letter from the person or school giving you money or
  • proof of funding paid from within Canada, if you have a scholarship or are in a Canadian-funded educational program.
Best wishes sa application mo, kabayan! Hope to see you there in the near future :)

Eivuretsiv

Nov 14, 2018
Hi,i have the same concern.i am in saudi arabia and will apply for canada student permit in riyadh visa office.anybody can share his experience?

Jonathen

Oct 7, 2019
HI , I want apply for student visa from UAE . How can get GIC in UAE for scotiabank or elsewhere.
Can anybody have any idea about it

Sunil Vaghani

Star Member
Jul 2, 2019
Category........
any one can apply for GIC as its very strong proof of financial requirement. My suggestion is go for CIBC bank as it have very fast services.

Shereen7393

Aug 28, 2018
Hi,

I will be applying for my study permit from inside Canada. But can I get a GIC certificate while I am in India and use it to apply for permit after I return to Canada? Because I do not have a canadian bank account and inorder to show strong proof of funds can I get GIC while I am in India?

Your advice is highly appreciated.

UTOPIA123

Feb 27, 2020
Hello,

Hi po kabayan, pls help po, i need ur assistance i got refusal on my first application po, and i want to purchase GIC as well, but i dont know the steps how, and is it ok even my application is not under SDS po dba? As i am currenlty here in UAE also po. Thanks!