+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I move to Vancouver as an OINP candidate

tvich

Jul 6, 2022
I hope you are doing well. I am an OINP candidate (Tech draw) and received my PR in December 2022. I started applying to jobs in Ontario as a software developer in December last year from my home country itself with a Canadian number telling recruiters that I am a Canadian PR.

I got rejected from more than 200-300 companies to say the least despite having spent a lot of money on getting a professional resume, hiring career coaches etc. These companies are rejecting without conducting any interviews.

I finally moved to Ontario last month in May 2023 and still find myself getting rejected by Ontario based companies.

I have exhausted all my options of employment in my primary NOC code. However I was able to get a job offer from a Vancouver based company. My question is, am I allowed to move to Vancouver and work there for few months till I find a job back in Ontario?

Alalac

Oct 2, 2021
I hope you are doing well. I am an OINP candidate (Tech draw) and received my PR in December 2022. I started applying to jobs in Ontario as a software developer in December last year from my home country itself with a Canadian number telling recruiters that I am a Canadian PR.

I got rejected from more than 200-300 companies to say the least despite having spent a lot of money on getting a professional resume, hiring career coaches etc. These companies are rejecting without conducting any interviews.

I finally moved to Ontario last month in May 2023 and still find myself getting rejected by Ontario based companies.

I have exhausted all my options of employment in my primary NOC code. However I was able to get a job offer from a Vancouver based company. My question is, am I allowed to move to Vancouver and work there for few months till I find a job back in Ontario?
If you are a PR you can move anywhere within Canada, but that might affect yoir application for citizenship in the future

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
I would suggest not doing that. You risk your nomination getting recalled by the province because of misrepresentation. If that doesn't affect you, you will have to answer the same questions when you apply for citizenship. You moving now to move back later in the future only sounds good. You probably won't move back since you would be gainfully employed and integrated in the Vancouver community.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would suggest not doing that. You risk your nomination getting recalled by the province because of misrepresentation. If that doesn't affect you, you will have to answer the same questions when you apply for citizenship. You moving now to move back later in the future only sounds good. You probably won't move back since you would be gainfully employed and integrated in the Vancouver community.
OP already landed and became a PR. They are free to move. Once a person is a PR, they are free to live wherever they want in Canada. There will be no issues in applying for citizenship.

The nomination can only be recalled before someone becomes a PR. Nominations are not recalled after PR.

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020

You are free to move anywhere. Doesn’t affect your citizenship application.

Reactions: scylla

vkamath

Nov 30, 2022

Document everything. Atleast I would I had the same doubt. You are expect to stay in the province that nominated you. But you should be fine. Just make sure you have those rejections in email or something.

Hi Vishnu. Sorry for the delay. If you became a permanent resident through the Provincial Nominee Program, you are expected try to make your permanent home in that province, but permanent residents can live anywhere in Canada http://cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp As long as you continue to fulfill that expectation, you should be okay to change jobs. The social media team can't provide you tailored immigration advice

Last edited:

Alalac

Oct 2, 2021
OP already landed and became a PR. They are free to move. Once a person is a PR, they are free to live wherever they want in Canada. There will be no issues in applying for citizenship.

The nomination can only be recalled before someone becomes a PR. Nominations are not recalled after PR.
Thats not completely true.. if needs to renew PR, they will check the type of application

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thats not completely true.. if needs to renew PR, they will check the type of application
Incorrect.

No, they will not.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Not under PNP program
Wrong again.

This applies to PNP as well. Once someone lands and becomes a PR, they have the right to live anywhere they want in Canada. This applies to people who immigrated under PNP as well.

I'm not sure where you are getting your information but it is wrong.

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Not under PNP program
Mobility rights – section 6
Mobility of citizens
6. (1) Every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in and leave Canada

Rights to move and gain livelihood
  • (2) Every citizen of Canada and every person who has the status of a permanent resident of Canada has the right:
    1. a) to move to and take up residence in any province; and
    2. b) to pursue the gaining of a livelihood in any province.

TranTrang0909

Apr 29, 2023
I also did ask PNP office about moving. This is what they answered me: “
The Alberta Advantage Immigration Program (AAIP) is an economic immigration program designed to ensure candidates can become economically established in Alberta.

However, every citizen of Canada and every person who has the status of a permanent resident of Canada has the right to move to and take up residence in any province as well as pursue the gaining of a livelihood in any province.”