+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I move to Canada after 2-3 years of receiving PR?

Its_me_angel

Nov 27, 2018
my application at cic is under process and probably it will be clmeoleyed by April 2020. I am an Indian residing in dubai and looking for jobs. Have a 2.5 year old kid and I am a single mother. I plan to stay and work in dubai for the next 2 years and keep visiting Canada in the interim to keep the PR status alive. I plan to do a soft landing August 2020 before my medical expires. My child is small and dubai has better support systems. Just want her to grow up and then move.

My question is-
- will this plan affect my PR status?
-how many years do I need to stay in Canada to keep the PR status?
-if I choose to reside in Dubai for next 2-3 years and then move to Canada will I be eligible for citizenship?
-at once we get a Pr for 5 years and then you get it for another 5 years?

If someone could just guide like - stay 2 years in dubai then move to Canada so and stay 3 years in Canada of the 5 years if PR and apply for citizenship. This sort of advice and guidance. Thanks

eiden03

Star Member
Feb 18, 2019
my application at cic is under process and probably it will be clmeoleyed by April 2020. I am an Indian residing in dubai and looking for jobs. Have a 2.5 year old kid and I am a single mother. I plan to stay and work in dubai for the next 2 years and keep visiting Canada in the interim to keep the PR status alive. I plan to do a soft landing August 2020 before my medical expires. My child is small and dubai has better support systems. Just want her to grow up and then move.

My question is-
-if I choose to reside in Dubai for next 2-3 years and then move to Canada will I be eligible for citizenship?

If someone could just guide like - stay 2 years in dubai then move to Canada so and stay 3 years in Canada of the 5 years if PR and apply for citizenship. This sort of advice and guidance. Thanks
Yes, you can. To keep your PR status, you must have been in Canada for at least 730 days during the last five years. Thus, in theory, after soft-landing, you could leave for 3 years, come back and eventually after you satisfy the citizenship requirements, apply to be naturalized.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018

My question is-

yes, a lot of people from Dubai do this all the time. For a 5 year period you have to be in Canada for 730 days to maintain PR. In a 5 year period you have to be in Canada for 1095 days in order to be eligible to apply for citizenship.

You can also probably save a lot more this way. I think for most professions you will earn a lot less here in Canada (biggest reason is income tax obv) so staying for about 3 years there and saving up and planning should go a long way in helping you move here.

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019

My question is-

1. No, it will not affect your PR status.
2. In recent 5 years, you need to be physically present in Canada for at least 2 years = 730 days. It is not necessary for them to be continous.
3. You need to be physically present in Canada for at least 3 years in recent 5 years to become eligible for citizenship. So, you will have to live less than 2 years in Dubai in recent 5 years to become eligible for citizenship.

Its_me_angel

Nov 27, 2018
2. In recent 5 years, you need to be physically present in Canada for at least 2 years = 730 days. It is not necessary for them to be continous.
3. You need to be physically present in Canada for at least 3 years in recent 5 years to become eligible for citizenship. So, you will have to live less than 2 years in Dubai in recent 5 years to become eligible for citizenship.
Just a question. How does PR work ?
You get it for 5 years. Stay for 2/5 years. Then you get an extension for 5 years in that if you satisfy the need to stay for 3/5 you can apply for citizsenship or the previous 2 years can be rolled over ?

Its_me_angel

Nov 27, 2018
yes, a lot of people from Dubai do this all the time. For a 5 year period you have to be in Canada for 730 days to maintain PR. In a 5 year period you have to be in Canada for 1095 days in order to be eligible to apply for citizenship.

You can also probably save a lot more this way. I think for most professions you will earn a lot less here in Canada (biggest reason is income tax obv) so staying for about 3 years there and saving up and planning should go a long way in helping you move here.
Thank you so much. I really appreciate

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
You get it for 5 years. Stay for 2/5 years. Then you get an extension for 5 years in that if you satisfy the need to stay for 3/5 you can apply for citizsenship or the previous 2 years can be rolled over ?
You get a PR card upon receiving PR, which has an expiry of 5 years. (The card expires in 5 year, but, not your PR, PR status can be losed if the holder decides to renounce it or a file is open by IRCC against them which tries to ascertain their PR status), to be able to renew your PR card, they will look at your past 5 years and see if you had stayed or not for a minimum of 730 days, if yes, your 'card' is renewed.

Let's say you stayed for 3.5 years in Canada and moved back to Dubai, but did not get the card renewed after it's expiry, it doesn't mean that you have lost your PR status, you can still get it renewed and travel to Canada on a PRTD, if the card is expired (Permanent Residence Travel Document).

This thread can help you with more information on such: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pr-card-expires-before-the-730-days-required.118357/

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
No, nothing gets rolled over unfortunately.

Whenever you apply, and this point is extremely important, only the last 5 years are evaluated. Let's say you lived in Canada for 2.5 years and then stayed out for another 3.5 years. Then you decided to apply for a new PR card. They will start the evaluation from the day you apply and count 5 years backwards. That will show you to have only 1.5 years in Canada in the last 5 years and they can write you up to revoke your PR status. So it is important to note that the time is always counted backwards from the day you put in an application.

This works the other way too. let's say you stay out of Canada for 4 years and then return to Canada (many times immigration will let you in without checking too much if you have 1 year or more of PR validity left but it still carries a bit of a risk) with one year of PR card validity left. Then you sit in Canada for 2 years and then apply for PR card nenewal. So the last 5 years will be counted from the date that you apply for PR card renewal.

Last edited: