+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can i loose citizenship?

steelcase

Star Member
Apr 9, 2014
Does anyone know if Canadian citizenship can be revoked? i have dual citizenship, one of which is Canadian. I took Canadian oath earlier this year. All together i lived in Canada 15 years, but im thinking of going back to my native country to live and be with my parents.
If i leave Canada indefinitely would i loose my citizenship? does anyone know? many thanks

Rayan14

Aug 14, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can "LOSE" your citizenship if you're found to be guilty of a high crime like terrorism charges or maybe mass murder. But you won't lose your citizenship by simply choosing to live some place else. Talk to an immigration lawyer?

http://blog.lostcanadian.com/2010/01/12-ways-to-lose-your-citizenship.html

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your Citizenship cannot be revoked for the sole reason that you are away from the country. It can be revoked if you do something considered illegal (links to terrorist group, war crimes or any other criminal conviction under Canadian law) for a Canadian then your citizenship can be revoked

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Keep in mind, losing citizenship only applies to those who have dual citizenship. Doesn't apply if you only have canadian citizenship and no other.

Screech339

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They can also revoke it if you fraudently obtained your PR or citizenship or lied in your application

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
newtone said:
They can also revoke it if you fraudently obtained your PR or citizenship or lied in your application
Yes they can revoke your citizenship if you gotten it through fraud. But how can they revoke citizenship if the person who committed the fraud effectively officially renounced the other citizenship before getting caught. Canada cannot strip a citizen if it leads to stateless. So again can only be done to a person holding dual citizenship.

Screech339

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
screech339 said:
Yes they can revoke your citizenship if you gotten it through fraud. But how can they revoke citizenship if the person who committed the fraud effectively officially renounced the other citizenship before getting caught. Canada cannot strip a citizen if it leads to stateless. So again can only be done to a person holding dual citizenship.

Screech339
I seem to remember a case where a "citizen" has been declared as having *never* legally been a citizen, thereby not requiring formal revocation. I wonder if they might try this in the case that someone has renounced their original citizenship. This would only be applicable if fraud/misrepresentation was involved. Just a thought...

labeamer

Jul 30, 2014
Whether you are a dual citizen or not, a Canadian citizenship can be revoked if you obtained the Canadian citizenship fraudulently or by misrepresentation in the first place. Statelessness is irrelevant and Canada is not obligated to honor a fraudster. The fact that a fraudulent individual becomes stateless is not Canada's problem.

Read this article: "news.nationalpost.com/2014/06/15/i-cant-be-stateless-born-in-canada-criminal-fighting-deportation-after-ottawa-decides-citizenship-not-valid/" ...copy and paste it into your address bar. I can't seem to post a link.

This dude doesn't have an Indian nationality. He is due to be deported, but India officially refused to accept him and doesn't even considers him as an Indian national. However, as far as Canada is concerned, he is not Canadian anymore.

steelcase

Star Member
Apr 9, 2014
thanks for reply everyone. my citizenship is not fraudulent by any means so Im safe i guess.

I was worried if there are a time limit when they can revoke it from you if you been outside the country for too long.

thanks and gluck everyone with your case!

casperr

Jun 14, 2014
I heard from some people that you cannot stay outside the country for more than 6 months, is there any reason for this?

Michels

Nov 20, 2011
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
casperr said:
I heard from some people that you cannot stay outside the country for more than 6 months, is there any reason for this?
This is under the new law regarding the physical presence in order to apply for citizenship. Canadian citizens are free to roam the world.

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Charter of Freedom
Section 6:
Mobility of citizens

6. (1) Every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in and leave Canada.
Marginal note:Rights to move and gain livelihood

(2) Every citizen of Canada and every person who has the status of a permanent resident of Canada has the right
(a) to move to and take up residence in any province; and
(b) to pursue the gaining of a livelihood in any province.

sweetakash

Star Member
Sep 24, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Transferred to Ottawa CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-SEP-2011
AOR Received.
8-NOV-2011
File Transfer...
8-NOV-2011
Med's Request
8-NOV-2011
Med's Done....
28-NOV-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-JAN-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-JAN-2012
LANDED..........
10-JAN-2012
labeamer said:
Whether you are a dual citizen or not, a Canadian citizenship can be revoked if you obtained the Canadian citizenship fraudulently or by misrepresentation in the first place. Statelessness is irrelevant and Canada is not obligated to honor a fraudster. The fact that a fraudulent individual becomes stateless is not Canada's problem.

Read this article: "news.nationalpost.com/2014/06/15/i-cant-be-stateless-born-in-canada-criminal-fighting-deportation-after-ottawa-decides-citizenship-not-valid/" ...copy and paste it into your address bar. I can't seem to post a link.

This dude doesn't have an Indian nationality. He is due to be deported, but India officially refused to accept him and doesn't even considers him as an Indian national. However, as far as Canada is concerned, he is not Canadian anymore.
This dude wasn't a citizen in first place. He got the Canadian Passport issued in error. His case is clear.
Canada won't throw out anybody into statelessness if a person is a Canadian Citizen only (not dual citizen). If he/she commits terrible crime, Canada has laws to book them and will exercise those instead of getting rid of a criminal through deportation.