+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I live in any another part of Canada

done

Oct 28, 2013
Leon said:
If you already had RAMQ, they should cover you for 3 months as you gain coverage in Ontario. You can contact RAMQ to clear that up.
Thank you very much for your answer.
I've checked on there website and from what I've read since I was a temporary resident I will need to return the card when my status change.

"Health insurance card
Persons eligible for the Québec health insurance plan are those who reside in Québec within the meaning of the Health Insurance Act. As a foreign student or temporary worker, you may already have a health insurance card.

As a permanent resident, you will have to file a new application for a card to the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ) by presenting documents related to your new status.

The RAMQ will tell you what steps to take and when your coverage will begin. It will also tell you whether you are subject to a waiting period (three months). If this applies to you and you are not covered by group insurance from your educational institution or your employer, you are advised to take out private insurance for the waiting time period."

Please give me an advice what to do.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I advise you to talk to RAMQ first and then decide what you want to do.

done

Oct 28, 2013
Leon said:
I advise you to talk to RAMQ first and then decide what you want to do.
Dear Leon

I called RAMQ today to verify my rights and here is their answer

as long as I'm living in QC my card will continue to cover me even that my status has been change from temporary resident to permanent how ever we need to notify them but whether we will or won't we can use the card and we are covered
If we decide to leave montreal to any other province RAMQ will not cover us for 3 month not even for one day, coz we were not PR holder when we had the card that we still have.
In a simple way as long as we continue to stay in QC we are covered.
even that we left QC for a period less then 21 days we are still covered.

I hope it will help other that face this situation as for me I will need to make a design fast so i will not lose cover here.

Thnx

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In that case, land outside Quebec, give a non Quebec address for your PR card but don't move. You can move later if you still want to.

done

Oct 28, 2013
Leon said:
In that case, land outside Quebec, give a non Quebec address for your PR card but don't move. You can move later if you still want to.
Dear Leon

Thanks for your answer,

we are already "landed" in canada a week ago and apply for SIN we gave my on address we are in toronto in a hotel we are suppose to enter our new apartment tomorrow, however we still have our apartment in montreal until the end of December. I hope I will be able to cancel my new lease which I already paid for the first tow months.

my main concern is if someone will dig in my file one day I'll be in trouble.

thanks friend.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I remember a case of a person who was working in Quebec on a work permit although he had applied for PR under FSW. He talked to the call centre and was told that they did not have a problem with him completing his work contract in Quebec before moving, however, they also said he should land outside Canada and give a non-Quebec address for his PR card so I don't think immigration would give you any trouble about this.

Did RAMQ tell you how long you have to stay in Quebec as a PR to have RAMQ cover you for 3 months in Ontario? Ask them about that.

done said:
Dear Leon

Thanks for your answer,

we are already "landed" in canada a week ago and apply for SIN we gave my on address we are in toronto in a hotel we are suppose to enter our new apartment tomorrow, however we still have our apartment in montreal until the end of December. I hope I will be able to cancel my new lease which I already paid for the first tow months.

my main concern is if someone will dig in my file one day I'll be in trouble.

thanks friend.

done

Oct 28, 2013
Leon said:
I remember a case of a person who was working in Quebec on a work permit although he had applied for PR under FSW. He talked to the call centre and was told that they did not have a problem with him completing his work contract in Quebec before moving, however, they also said he should land outside Canada and give a non-Quebec address for his PR card so I don't think immigration would give you any trouble about this.

Did RAMQ tell you how long you have to stay in Quebec as a PR to have RAMQ cover you for 3 months in Ontario? Ask them about that.
Dear Leon, thanks for your answer

my contract will be ending 31 of december.
my wife due is around the end of december.
If I'll decide to stay here I will need to renew my contract for another year.
Which mean I'm stuck in QC for another year, not saying that it's bad but to sablet a lease for 1 year its hard.
As for my new Apt in ON I will probably lose my 2 thousand that I paid since I didn't signed for a year its monthly base payment.

as for your question it is interesting but if I'll renew the RAMQ card I will probably need to stay here for another 6 months.

I already paid 10 grand for my first baby here since I had open work permit at the beginning, I'm trying not fold down again.

I can give up my dream to live in an English province for now, the only thing that its bothering me is that if one day someone will dig into my file later I can lose my PR since I received my PR from the federal under CEC not QC on the other hand if I'll leave to ON and lets say will give birth here in QC which is another possibility I can get my self into trouble with RAMQ since if they'll find out that I left QC.

Both options are problematic for us the question is which one is more risky?
I think it's less likely that someone from the immigration will come to me and ask why I didn't live in ON, if this will happen I'll need to tell them my story hopefully they will understand since I did everything to move from QC.

Sometime I regret my decision not applying to QC since I already have had past the delf exam

what do you think Leon is better?

many thx

samp384n

Jul 17, 2013
Hi Leon...I really need help
Hello sir / madam
My name is Sam. I am a new permanent resident to Canada and I got here 4 months ago. I came to Canada as Quebec skilled worker and I am in Montréal now. I got my SIN card. I haven’t got my PR card yet and when I enquired about it, the office said to me that my photos aren’t according to specifications and they already send a letter regarding the issue. I’ll resubmit the photos as soon as possible, once I get the letter.

The problem is, I have been in Montréal for four months and I haven’t got a job yet. It’s really hard to find a job in my field. When I looked at internet, I saw there are lot of jobs in Alberta and in Ontario.
Is there any problem if I move to any of these provinces before I get my PR card….?? Do I only have to change the address online if I am moving out?
Thanks
Sam

done

Oct 28, 2013
Hi Sam
I'll answer you from what I learned.

you don't need your card to become a PR the card is needed only if you're planing to leave canada and to re enter.
when you landed you received a landing documents that is your prove of permanent residency.

as for the other qustion I dont want to answer for something that I'm not sure of but from what I know after you land and become a PR you can live anywhere in canada, but please check this out with the expert here

Good luce

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Under the circumstances, it would not be wise to try to use your RAMQ card in Ontario because they see that you have left and they could back charge you which could potentially cost you more than paying yourself.

If you stay in Quebec, immigration will not come after you. You applied stating that you intended to live outside of Quebec and you did. However, life threw a wrench into your plans with the pregnancy and health coverage and so you had to change your plans.

If you stay in Ontario, you have another option and that would be looking into giving birth via midwife. For example, I have heard that Diversity midwives have helped people who did not have coverage and it doesn't cost as much as a hospital.

done said:
Dear Leon, thanks for your answer

my contract will be ending 31 of december.
my wife due is around the end of december.
If I'll decide to stay here I will need to renew my contract for another year.
Which mean I'm stuck in QC for another year, not saying that it's bad but to sablet a lease for 1 year its hard.
As for my new Apt in ON I will probably lose my 2 thousand that I paid since I didn't signed for a year its monthly base payment.

as for your question it is interesting but if I'll renew the RAMQ card I will probably need to stay here for another 6 months.

I already paid 10 grand for my first baby here since I had open work permit at the beginning, I'm trying not fold down again.

I can give up my dream to live in an English province for now, the only thing that its bothering me is that if one day someone will dig into my file later I can lose my PR since I received my PR from the federal under CEC not QC on the other hand if I'll leave to ON and lets say will give birth here in QC which is another possibility I can get my self into trouble with RAMQ since if they'll find out that I left QC.

Both options are problematic for us the question is which one is more risky?
I think it's less likely that someone from the immigration will come to me and ask why I didn't live in ON, if this will happen I'll need to tell them my story hopefully they will understand since I did everything to move from QC.

Sometime I regret my decision not applying to QC since I already have had past the delf exam

what do you think Leon is better?

many thx

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
samp384n said:
Hi Leon...I really need help
Hello sir / madam
My name is Sam. I am a new permanent resident to Canada and I got here 4 months ago. I came to Canada as Quebec skilled worker and I am in Montréal now. I got my SIN card. I haven't got my PR card yet and when I enquired about it, the office said to me that my photos aren't according to specifications and they already send a letter regarding the issue. I'll resubmit the photos as soon as possible, once I get the letter.

The problem is, I have been in Montréal for four months and I haven't got a job yet. It's really hard to find a job in my field. When I looked at internet, I saw there are lot of jobs in Alberta and in Ontario.
Is there any problem if I move to any of these provinces before I get my PR card....?? Do I only have to change the address online if I am moving out?
Thanks
Sam
Hey Sam.

If you leave, is there anybody at that address who will take delivery of the PR card and mail it to you? If not, you will have to tell immigration that you are moving.

Quebec immigration expected you to stay in Quebec but if you have already spent 4 months and you have not been able to find a job, nobody will blame you if you leave so go ahead and look elsewhere.

done

Oct 28, 2013
Leon said:
Under the circumstances, it would not be wise to try to use your RAMQ card in Ontario because they see that you have left and they could back charge you which could potentially cost you more than paying yourself.

If you stay in Quebec, immigration will not come after you. You applied stating that you intended to live outside of Quebec and you did. However, life threw a wrench into your plans with the pregnancy and health coverage and so you had to change your plans.

If you stay in Ontario, you have another option and that would be looking into giving birth via midwife. For example, I have heard that Diversity midwives have helped people who did not have coverage and it doesn't cost as much as a hospital.
Many many thanks Leon,

I'll take your advise to stay in Montreal which is my opinion as well, other then that it can cost me a lot of money to move to ON, the risk is just to high.

Again many thanks.

samp384n

Jul 17, 2013
Thanks, done and leone

Also, i called Quebec immigration office today and spoke with them about my situation. The gentleman told me that, I can move if I want. His exact words were

“You are not obliged to stay in Quebec, once you are a landed permanent resident, you can relocate, study or work anywhere in Canada and there is no time limit in this matter.”

Once again, thanks
Sam

done

Oct 28, 2013
samp384n said:
Thanks, done and leone

Also, i called Quebec immigration office today and spoke with them about my situation. The gentleman told me that, I can move if I want. His exact words were

“You are not obliged to stay in Quebec, once you are a landed permanent resident, you can relocate, study or work anywhere in Canada and there is no time limit in this matter.”

Once again, thanks
Sam
Thx for the info

yalgar

Oct 13, 2013
Leon said:
It does not complicate things because you landed on the quick, having to go back to the US to complete a job contract and you were up front about that. It doesn't change anything.
Now I got a job offer from Alberta. However I am already settled in Toronto and its a big hassle to move again. The offer equals what am getting in Toronto
Do you see any risk in the future, or advise me to take this job (and move again)
My current employer is ready to do a location transfer to Alberta after an year
Please advise on any future risks like PR revoke etc..