+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I Leave While Waiting for Restoration of Status?

Nov 13, 2019
I graduated in May 17th, 2019 and sent out a Post Grad Work Permit application in June. They messaged me on October 10th asking for me to provide a letter of completion from my university, but I couldn't get into my account because there was a technical issue. I was calling IRCC like crazy and no one could help! Then they sent out a message on October 17th and I still couldn't access it. Finally I decided to reopen a bank account with Scotia to access my account with a sign in partner, and I found that it was too late and they had requested the letter by October 17th, so since I didn't provide it by then, they had to refuse my application.

They said because my status expired on 10/22/2019, I could apply for restoration within 90 days from then. So I just sent out my application by paper to apply for restoration as a worker and for a new Post Grad Work Permit yesterday. I know that I'm not allowed to work until I hear back on the restoration of my status. My question is, am I not allowed to leave the country while I wait for restoration? Or am I only prohibited from leaving the country if I haven't applied for restoration yet?

I know that if I didn't apply for restoration yet, then leaving the country would mean I would have to seek a new status upon reentry. But if I DID apply for restoration and they began processing my application, then am I allowed to leave the country while I wait and then provide proof upon reentry that I sent out my application for restoration before the 90 days expired?

My reasoning for leaving while I wait would be so that I could work in my home country. It's tough to be here and not be allowed to work while they take nearly four months to process that application, but then again I'm reaping what I sowed by not getting into my application and sending the document they needed within the correct time frame.

Sorry if this is a confusing question but I can't find anywhere on the website detailing this. Thanks so much!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If you leave, your application for restoration of status is moot because you have left. You won't be able to restore status as a worker, it would be as a visitor.

You would receive a new status once you re-entered.