+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I leave the country? Or need visitor visa?

eliselouise

May 5, 2018
Hey guys,
ill try keep it short.

Just waiting on my degrees to be evaluated (says 30th May so fingers crossed) then hoping to be invited on 6th June (work permit expires on 15th June). Have all my docs ready (police, employment letters, PoFs etc) so will submit asap then apply paper copy for BOWP to buy some time, and stop working (unfortunately).

Question is: I am thinking of going to surprise my parents in Hawaii second week of August as it's waaaay closer than Australia lol - can I leave and come back no problems, or do I have to apply for a visitor visa so I can get back into Canada with no hassles?

Thank you all!

Ellianna

Star Member
Feb 9, 2017
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Hey guys,
ill try keep it short.

Just waiting on my degrees to be evaluated (says 30th May so fingers crossed) then hoping to be invited on 6th June (work permit expires on 15th June). Have all my docs ready (police, employment letters, PoFs etc) so will submit asap then apply paper copy for BOWP to buy some time, and stop working (unfortunately).

Question is: I am thinking of going to surprise my parents in Hawaii second week of August as it's waaaay closer than Australia lol - can I leave and come back no problems, or do I have to apply for a visitor visa so I can get back into Canada with no hassles?

Thank you all!
You will need a visa to enter Canada, if it is expiring the same time as your work permit (which I think is the case) then you need to extend your Work permit first and after that apply to visa.

eliselouise

May 5, 2018
You will need a visa to enter Canada, if it is expiring the same time as your work permit (which I think is the case) then you need to extend your Work permit first and after that apply to visa.
Thanks for the response. Just so I have it correct... I plan to apply for BOWP before my work permit expires, then be on implied status (however not work). And then some time in July I will apply for a visitor visa online (rather than flagpole), if I do go ahead with my trip. But if I stay in Canada I won't need one. Correct? I am currently living in Canada, if that makes any difference.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for the response. Just so I have it correct... I plan to apply for BOWP before my work permit expires, then be on implied status (however not work). And then some time in July I will apply for a visitor visa online (rather than flagpole), if I do go ahead with my trip. But if I stay in Canada I won't need one. Correct? I am currently living in Canada, if that makes any difference.
If you are Australian, you don't require a visa regardless. You need an eTA, which you likely already have from the last time you travelled to Canada.

eliselouise

May 5, 2018
If you are Australian, you don't require a visa regardless. You need an eTA, which you likely already have from the last time you travelled to Canada.
EDIT: After some Googling it is apparently on our work permit. Will have to check when I go home. So you are saying I don't need to apply for a visitor visa, I can just hypothetically go to Hawaii (I have a valid B1/B2 visa) and come back to Canada and come in on my valid ETA?

Hmm is there any way to check? I vaguely remember some people saying it may have been issued with our work permit, which for me was 2 years ago. I honestly can't remember which may sound ridiculous

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
EDIT: After some Googling it is apparently on our work permit. Will have to check when I go home. So you are saying I don't need to apply for a visitor visa, I can just hypothetically go to Hawaii (I have a valid B1/B2 visa) and come back to Canada and come in on my valid ETA?

Hmm is there any way to check? I vaguely remember some people saying it may have been issued with our work permit, which for me was 2 years ago. I honestly can't remember which may sound ridiculous
You can't even apply for a visitor visa.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-status.html

eliselouise

May 5, 2018

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Not sure what that link is meant to show me but thanks. It's just been a whirlwind stressful couple of months trying to determine if I will have everything done in time so I can stay, so I'm a little confused with all the conflicting info I read. The ETA makes sense however, total duh moment.
The link is to check the status of your eTA...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Oh yeah I was doing that earlier but nothing... even though it's meant to be valid until 2021... so beats me. I'll just apply for a new one if I do go on holidays as it's only $7
Yeah, it would be easier to pay the $7 than to try to track the other one.

eliselouise

May 5, 2018
Yeah, it would be easier to pay the $7 than to try to track the other one.
Thanks for the information. As I said, I stress myself out over this and don't know left from right. I haven't left the country in 2 years so totally blanked on the ETA. Duh. Thanks again, I appreciate it!