+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I leave my job after applying for CEC?

adityakulkarni1990

Star Member
Dec 13, 2014
Hello,

I am planning to apply my PR under Canadian experience class in August when I will complete my 1 year of experience.

I want to know if I can leave the job during my application will be under process?

Will it affect my application? I heard I need to inform them about change of employment by filling up the web enquiry form.

Please help.

Regards,
Adi

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I am planning to apply my PR under Canadian experience class in August when I will complete my 1 year of experience.

I want to know if I can leave the job during my application will be under process?

Will it affect my application? I heard I need to inform them about change of employment by filling up the web enquiry form.

Please help.

Regards,
Adi
No effect.

Reactions: adityakulkarni1990

Cell

Star Member
Jul 21, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
Hello,

Please help.

Regards,
Adi
Based on what I know, if you lose or leave your job and you become unemployed, you will have to notify IRCC of this, as losing your job will involve a recalculation of your score. If you lose too many points, you may risk. If your new score is below the minimum score accepted for Express Entry draw the time you got selected, your application may be rejected.

Even if your new score is still above the threshold for your EE draw, I believe you may still experience some delays in your application processing, but probably nothing more than that.

adityakulkarni1990

Star Member
Dec 13, 2014
Based on what I know, if you lose or leave your job and you become unemployed, you will have to notify IRCC of this, as losing your job will involve a recalculation of your score. If you lose too many points, you may risk. If your new score is below the minimum score accepted for Express Entry draw the time you got selected, your application may be rejected.

Even if your new score is still above the threshold for your EE draw, I believe you may still experience some delays in your application processing, but probably nothing more than that.
Thanks for responding.
I will for sure will not leave my job if I don't get another one but I don't want to get stuck with my current job since I am already getting good responses for new opportunities.

ajithj

May 1, 2015
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2017-Mar
AOR Received.
2017-Mar
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
2017-Mar
Passport Req..
2017-May
LANDED..........
2017-Jun

Not true. You will lose points only if you are claiming points for job offer i.e. you have LMIA or have a closed work permit with job offer.

If you are on PGWP, you can quit your job and it will not affect your CRS score.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

He will most definitely NOT lose any points for his year of work experience in Canada. OP please ignore this post.

Reactions: Kayne

Cell

Star Member
Jul 21, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
He will most definitely NOT lose any points for his year of work experience in Canada. OP please ignore this post.
No, if he claims points for arranged employment, he will lose those points. I got confirmed about this from an immigration attorney as well. Of course, he won't lose the points related to the past work experience. Also, if he gets another job, his score won't get affected.

Just reading he's on PGWP. Not familiar with it, as I was on a closed work permit, so I did claim points for my arranged employment. Not sure if in his situation points claimed may be different.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, if he claims points for arranged employment, he will lose those points. I got confirmed about this from an immigration attorney as well. Of course, he won't lose the points related to the past work experience. Also, if he gets another job, his score won't get affected.

Just reading he's on PGWP. Not familiar with it, as I was on a closed work permit, so I did claim points for my arranged employment. Not sure if in his situation points claimed may be different.
One cannot have a valid job offer on a PGWP.

santi.s

Jun 7, 2018
To Add a follow up question to the initial inquiry:

If you are on a PGWP and are currently in a job qualified as a NOC B category, through which you filled for your PR through express entry, is it advisable to switch your industry to a job that falls under NOC C? Will this affect your points in anyway and do you still have to report this on your application?

Thanks in advance.

Jul 10, 2018
Hi.

I am also under a PGWP and employed under a Noc B job. I also want to switch job to one that falls in Noc C or D because I can't stand my job any longer. Would that affect my process? Please help.

Reactions: Nameta

PradeepkumarC

Oct 15, 2018
I have 2 years experience in Canada and I have accumulated job offer points in my PR application for this experience and soon I may leave Canada, as my current project is coming to an end. In that case, will I lose my points claimed for job offer? Please reply

FredMad

Star Member
Apr 25, 2019
Same as my ca
I am also under the same situation. This is what I believe, there are 2 different situations:
1. You had more than 1 year experience under NOC 0,A,B and applied for PR. You then got your invitation, and sent a letter from your employee proving that you worked there or having been working there for more than 1 year, you got the points. Done!! there is no attachment between you and your company, no LMIA, no sponsor, no Closed Work Visa. You are Free to go.

2. You asked your company to sponsor you, give you LMIA for PR or for a work vista, or anything that may have you attached to your company, then you can't leave until the process is ended.

My concern about #1 is that if you leave, and by any chance IRCC/CIC ask you for any extra document about your process that may require the help of your company again, there is a good chance they won't give it to you. Thats why is so hard for me to decide to leave.