+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I leave Canada temporarily after landing and obtaining my PR Card?

Xeronator87

Apr 5, 2015
Hi All,

With regards to my subject topic, I wanted to ask whether I am able to temporarily leave Canada after landing and obtaining my PR card.

If the answer is yes, then what is the maximum period am I allowed to stay outside of Canada without impacting the process to obtain Citizenship.

I heard that I have to stay for a period of 3 out of 5 years in Canada to get my Citizenship (This applies to applicants whom applied before 2015, which is my case). If this is true, does this imply I have a maximum period of 2 years to stay out of Canada before moving back permanently?

Many thanks for your feedback in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Currently you must live in Canada for 3 out of 4 years to qualify for citizenship. However this is changing to 4 out of 6 years very soon (likely June) - and this new rule will apply to you.

To keep your PR status valid, you must live in Canada for 2 out of every 5 years. So the maximum amount of time you can be outside of Canada is three years - but then you would need to return to Canada and live in Canada for 2 years straight without leaving.

hardik1987

Apr 6, 2015
Dear friends,

Can I land in Canada, wait for a week or so, complete all formalities and leave for home country after giving a local address for delivering the PR card ?

Then my friend at the local address can courier the card to my country.

Is that OK and allowed ?

Do they ask to come and collect the card in person ?

Please advise.

rinleena

Star Member
Sep 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hardik1987 said:
Dear friends,

Can I land in Canada, wait for a week or so, complete all formalities and leave for home country after giving a local address for delivering the PR card ?

Then my friend at the local address can courier the card to my country.

Is that OK and allowed ?

Do they ask to come and collect the card in person ?

Please advise.

Hi

As far as I know its ok to leave Canada but provided you give your friends address to deliver the PR card.no need to be in person.this might take about 6 to 7 weeks, in the meantime if you would like to travel back to Canada you would need to apply for travel document from the embassy.

Xeronator87

Apr 5, 2015
Thanks for the feedback.

The other question I have in mind is, assuming I stay out of Canada for the maximum period of 3 years then move back to keep my PR valid, how long do I need to reside in Canada to get the Citizenship? Is it still 3 years (i.e. The 2 years to keep PR valid + an additional 1 year) or 4 years (i.e. The 2 years to keep PR valid + additional 2 years), or would it have a different impact?

Please advise.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Xeronator87 said:
Thanks for the feedback.

The other question I have in mind is, assuming I stay out of Canada for the maximum period of 3 years then move back to keep my PR valid, how long do I need to reside in Canada to get the Citizenship? Is it still 3 years (i.e. The 2 years to keep PR valid + an additional 1 year) or 4 years (i.e. The 2 years to keep PR valid + additional 2 years), or would it have a different impact?

Please advise.
Citizenship and PR residency requirements have nothing to do with each other. The rules for citizenship are expected to change very soon - so you will have to live in Canada for 4 out of 6 years to qualify for citizenship.

ajplayit

Apr 30, 2015
I mentioned Toronoto as my landing city in my PR application. Now that I have gotten my Immigration Visa is it complusory for me to land in Toronot or can I land in any other city.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ajplayit said:
I mentioned Toronoto as my landing city in my PR application. Now that I have gotten my Immigration Visa is it complusory for me to land in Toronot or can I land in any other city.
You can land in some other city. They don't however like it if you land in a city in Quebec if you applied under skilled worker or CEC because it is a condition that you are not planning to settle in Quebec. If you must land in Quebec, you must convince them you are not planning to settle there and preferably give an address outside Quebec to mail your PR card. Any city outside Quebec would be fine.

Xeronator87 said:
It would depend on what the citizenship law is at the time you apply. Currently it's 3 years, soon to be 4 so unless they change it again, it will likely be 4 when you apply.