+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I leave Canada indefinitely after I apply for Citizenship?

yeasir1987

Aug 30, 2018
Hi,

I want to leave Canada after I apply for citizenship and I want to know what steps to be taken to comply with the rules. Do I have to inform IRCC about this change of home address to a different country (back home)? Does it have any negative impact on my application? Bill C6 states that an applicant no longer has to show intent to live in Canada, so does that mean that IRCC will go easy on the ones who have left Canada after applying?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I want to leave Canada after I apply for citizenship and I want to know what steps to be taken to comply with the rules. Do I have to inform IRCC about this change of home address to a different country (back home)? Does it have any negative impact on my application? Bill C6 states that an applicant no longer has to show intent to live in Canada, so does that mean that IRCC will go easy on the ones who have left Canada after applying?
Yea you can currently leave Canada after applying for citizenship as long as you keep meeting your RO for your PR status. You must update your address with IRCC. You must also contact CRA and indicate that you are leaving Canada with no planned date of return. You also want them to determine whether you remain a tax resident or not. Amount of time spent in Canada and your ties to Canada will determine whether you are a tax resident and need to keep filing and paying taxes. You also need to inform your provincial health care provider when you leave Canada. Looks like you already left so should have already done all these things.

Reactions: yeasir1987

yeasir1987

Aug 30, 2018
Yea you can currently leave Canada after applying for citizenship as long as you keep meeting your RO for your PR status. You must update your address with IRCC. You must also contact CRA and indicate that you are leaving Canada with no planned date of return. You also want them to determine whether you remain a tax resident or not. Amount of time spent in Canada and your ties to Canada will determine whether you are a tax resident and need to keep filing and paying taxes. You also need to inform your provincial health care provider when you leave Canada. Looks like you already left so should have already done all these things.
Hi, thanks a lot for your reply. No, I have not left the country yet. I do not still know if I will. I am just willing to know the steps so that in case I leave I am better equipped. You have given lots of points and I will keep those in mind.

CANADA-1

Jan 17, 2017
Hi,

u can but keep in mind your application treat non routine, you don't know how much time take, so very hard to maintain P.R status in Canada and u face other problem time 2 time if you serous for Canadian citizenship stay start to finish stay in Canada