+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I leave Canada immediately after submitting Citizenship Application

3YrsLeftOnPR

Aug 12, 2020
Hi!

Q1) Can I leave Canada immediately after applying for citizenship?
Q2) Is there a minimum phase/ stage in the application process that I have to stay before traveling outside or minimum number of months?
Q3) I know IRCC states its okay to travel outside but practically is it suggested not to leave?
Q4) For working in USA is TN visa recommended or H1B Visa? As I have earlier Green Card I-140 approved in EB2 category.
Q5) Before leaving Canada should I still retain my apartment on rent or a P.O. Box Address will suffice to get correspondence from IRCC?

Thank you.

gr8man

Sep 8, 2017
Ultimately it is your choice since the consequences will be all yours either way. Below are only suggestions and definitely not legal advice :) :

Q1) Can I leave Canada immediately after applying for citizenship?
Not recommended. If you take the test outside of Canada, your application has a high chance of being deemed non-routine making the procesing much longer. You also need to maintain your PR status at all times during your citizenship application(730 days in last 5 years ) irresepctive of how long it takes.
The official guideline is here: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=911&top=5

Q2) Is there a minimum phase/ stage in the application process that I have to stay before traveling outside or minimum number of months?
Same as Q1. Also you may have to re-submit PCC at a later stage in the application if you travel back to the same country where you originally submitted the PCC from.

Q3) I know IRCC states its okay to travel outside but practically is it suggested not to leave?
Travel is OK. On the way to airport citizenship applications are frowned upon(higher scrutiny). At some point in the not so distant past, your citizenship application could also have been rescinded under then rules if you were out of Canada during the application.
https://www.mariacampos.ca/en/2015/07/reside-canada-after-becoming-citizen-bill-c-24/

Q4) For working in USA is TN visa recommended or H1B Visa? As I have earlier Green Card I-140 approved in EB2 category.
If you are approved for I-140, your chances of a successful TN visa application are very low. TN visa is based on no intent to immigrate to the US and your I-140 signals your immigration intent. Better to keep your H1B.

Q5) Before leaving Canada should I still retain my apartment on rent or a P.O. Box Address will suffice to get correspondence from IRCC?
Not sure. But any "Change of XYZ..." will slow your application. This could possibly include change of address, though unlikely to have the same consequences as change of name.

Last edited: