+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can i leave Canada before receiving the PR Card?

ali357

Nov 13, 2015
I recently got a request to submit my passport for the final stage of the PR process. Assuming i get it, i understand that i will be required to enter Canada in order to get my PR Card. The typical processing time is 45 days. The issue im facing is that, due to some major work commitments, i need to be back in Dubai within 30 days (probably before i even receive the PR Card). Can i do that?

i know i need the PR card to re-enter Canada so would it work if i have the PR card delivered to a friend or relative's place and have them bring it to me when they come visit?

Hushus

Star Member
Aug 15, 2017
Dubai
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
I wanted to ask the same question the only thing i found in the CIC website is that you have to apply for PR Traveling Document which is valid for one entry and unless you dont have your PR you have to get another one if you are planning to do trips back and forth until you get PR card, but im not sure about if we can ask someone to mail it.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I recently got a request to submit my passport for the final stage of the PR process. Assuming i get it, i understand that i will be required to enter Canada in order to get my PR Card. The typical processing time is 45 days. The issue im facing is that, due to some major work commitments, i need to be back in Dubai within 30 days (probably before i even receive the PR Card). Can i do that?

i know i need the PR card to re-enter Canada so would it work if i have the PR card delivered to a friend or relative's place and have them bring it to me when they come visit?
There are many many posts on this same question most headlined 'short landing'.

Basically you arrive in Canada with your required documentation,complete your landing making sure you follow the goods to follow process as well . You provide a Canadian address for your PR card to be mailed to and if there is a Service Canada desk open apply for your SIN.

Having done all that you can leave on the next flight out if you want to or stay a week or so before returning to your home country.

When the PR card is mailed to a friends address they either mail/ courier it to you or as you say bring it with them on a home country visit. Worst case you can apply for a PRTD to come back.

Making an assumption your home country return is a relatively short return but if not of course remember to keep in mind the 2 out of 5 year residency obligation.

Reactions: VOBuckeye

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I wanted to ask the same question the only thing i found in the CIC website is that you have to apply for PR Traveling Document which is valid for one entry and unless you dont have your PR you have to get another one if you are planning to do trips back and forth until you get PR card, but im not sure about if we can ask someone to mail it.
As long as you can provide a Canadian residential address the initial PR card will be mailed to that address and the friend or family member who lives at that address can mail or courier the card to you in your home country.

Applying for a PRTD is an option and unless are you are lucky enough to get a multi entry one it can take some time to obtain one for each application and I guess eventually CIC would question why not using a PR card.

A PRTD should be regarded as an exception process and not intended for regular travel, thats what the PR card is for amongst others things.

Dana.D

Star Member
Jul 24, 2017

Basically you arrive in Canada with your required documentation,complete your landing making sure you follow the goods to follow process as well . You provide a Canadian address for your PR card to be mailed to and if there is a Service Canada desk open apply for your SIN.

Having done all that you can leave on the next flight out if you want to or stay a week or so before returning to your home country.

When the PR card is mailed to a friends address they either mail/ courier it to you or as you say bring it with them on a home country visit. Worst case you can apply for a PRTD to come back.

Making an assumption your home country return is a relatively short return but if not of course remember to keep in mind the 2 out of 5 year residency obligation.

How do they mail the card. What if my relative was not at home when they mailed the card. Is it possible to provide a mobile number with the address ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
How do they mail the card. What if my relative was not at home when they mailed the card. Is it possible to provide a mobile number with the address ?
It's sent through regular mail. There is no need for a phone number.

Medmhn

Star Member
Jun 30, 2017
Toronto
hi.just get 740days in canada.and i wana renw my pr
Can I leave Canada after i aplay to rnew my pr 2week while IRCC processes my application for permanent residence?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
hi.just get 740days in canada.and i wana renw my pr
Can I leave Canada after i aplay to rnew my pr 2week while IRCC processes my application for permanent residence?
You can do it - but it's risky. If you miscalculate your dates and don't have enough, you could end up losing your PR status. I personally wouldn't leave Canada until you have your renewed card.

And if you leave, how do you plan to return without a valid PR card?

Medmhn

Star Member
Jun 30, 2017
Toronto
I did aplay to renw my pr for umgergency .i sent my aplication on 02 july2018.with my fly tiket .im leaving canada on 06august 2018 for 02month.i realy dont know what to do.di i leave canada and et the process take time. im worry if i aplay for travel document they may refuse it so i will be stuck outside and i cant re enter to canada.i did ve now 760 days now present in canada so plz advise

Ted2020

Mar 4, 2018
Me and my wife have got CoPR. We will be landing together in Canada, but my stay in Canada will be for 2 weeks only and I' ll come back , while my wife will be there and receive our PR cards.

I have read in other forums that you can initiate the process of PR card and SIN as soon as you land, and possibly your spouse can bring the PR card back to your country.

My question:
1. can I travel without any problem with the PR card which my wife will get back, or do I still need a PRTD?
2. Is bringing PR card along with her legal as per IRCC?

thanks...

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Reply to TED2020

When you land CBSA will validate your COPR and initiate your PR card application assuming you provide them with a Canadian address. PR cards for new immigrants on average can take 6-8 weeks. If there is a Service Canada desk at the airport you can get your SIN there else find one in the city you land in and apply straight away.

You only need a PR card to fly back to Canada if you do not have it you would need a PRTD. It would be perfectly fine for your wife to bring your PR card back to you in your home country there is no legal reason why she cannot do that.

If for some reason she stays in Canada then alternatively your wife can courier or mail your card to you in your home country and although whilst it is not illegal to do so from Canada nobody here can predict any home country customs actions. Many people do this worldwide though without issue.

Last edited:

Ted2020

Mar 4, 2018
Reply to TED2020

When you land CBSA will validate your COPR and initiate your PR card application assuming you provide them with a Canadian address. PR cards for new immigrants on average can take 6-8 weeks. If there is a Service Canada desk at the airport you can get your SIN there else find one in the city you land in and apply straight away.

You only need a PR card to fly back to Canada if you do not have it you would need a PRTD. It would be perfectly fine for your wife to bring your PR card back to you in your home country there is no legal reason why she cannot do that.

If for some reason she stays in Canada then alternatively your wife can courier or mail your card to you in your home country and although whilst it is not illegal to do so from Canada nobody here can predict any home country customs actions. Many people do this worldwide though without issue.
Thank you @Bs65

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016

In addition, and my opinion, you need to be careful of who receive your PR card on your behalf. Since it's a vital ID. If it's lost, misplaced...cic may query your carelessness when applying for replacement of it or PRTD app oversee.

Carter@123

Jan 9, 2019
Hi i just land in Canada 2 weeks ago but urgently i need to go back to my country and doesnt have a pr card yet. I just provided my home address here in Canada in the immigration at vancouver airport.
Questions:
There will be a possible problem at the airport when leaving canada without pr card?

Can my mother in law mail my pr card outside canada my home country as soon as the cic mail it to my address?