+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can i leave canada after submit application in express entry

ryan1985

Sep 19, 2017
Hi, I have a question about my permanent residency application.

I am now holding a work permit in canada. I submit my PR application in the express entry and I have got an invitation to apply (i am eligible to CEC and FSW). I already submitted all of the required documents. However, my work permit is going to expire so I want to leave canada after it is expired. I am wondering if leaving canada while waiting for the PR review will affect my PR application?

1, I am thinking to change the address in my file after i leave, so the documents will mailed to my new address outside of canada. Since i applied inland, I don't know if this is viable. Any comments?
2, If 1 doesn't work, i am thinking to have a friend to check my mail in canada, and if the application approved, the friend will help to mail the documents to me (i will not come back to canada if my application is rejected, of course), will this work?
3, I noticed that, there is a bridging open work permit, which I may be eligible to apply to stay in Canada after my current work permit expired (since I already submitted all documents), is this a good idea?

Hopefully someone here are able to give me advises, thanks in advance.

doge

Mar 29, 2017
Visa Office......
Ottawa CPC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-03-2017
AOR Received.
22-03-2017
Med's Done....
19-04-2017
Passport Req..
28-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-07-2017
LANDED..........
09-08-2017
Hi, I have a question about my permanent residency application.

I am now holding a work permit in canada. I submit my PR application in the express entry and I have got an invitation to apply (i am eligible to CEC and FSW). I already submitted all of the required documents. However, my work permit is going to expire so I want to leave canada after it is expired. I am wondering if leaving canada while waiting for the PR review will affect my PR application?

1, I am thinking to change the address in my file after i leave, so the documents will mailed to my new address outside of canada. Since i applied inland, I don't know if this is viable. Any comments?
2, If 1 doesn't work, i am thinking to have a friend to check my mail in canada, and if the application approved, the friend will help to mail the documents to me (i will not come back to canada if my application is rejected, of course), will this work?
3, I noticed that, there is a bridging open work permit, which I may be eligible to apply to stay in Canada after my current work permit expired (since I already submitted all documents), is this a good idea?

Hopefully someone here are able to give me advises, thanks in advance.
For 1 and 2, I believe that it should work.

Regarding to 3, yes. If you want, you can apply the bridging open work permit. But you need to submit the BOWP application before your current work permit expires. It's a good idea if you do not mind paying a few hundred bucks to apply for the BOWP.

ryan1985

Sep 19, 2017
You can definitely change your address after you leave Canada in case you plan to stay outside until you get your PR approved. Just raise a CSE with the address change. Your 2nd point is not a choice as you will eventually need to send your passport if the application is approved to your Local Visa Office which is in your current country and you will end up changing your address anyway.

For the BOWP, if you plan to leave Canada anyway, you don't need to bother yourself and pay more fees to get one. However, if you decide to stay and your current permit is about to expire, you have to apply for BOWP BEFORE the expiration date.
Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate. Do you have any experience of changing the address? In my case, it will change a canadian address to a non-canadian. In this case,
1 will my application still be process in canada, or it will be transfer to the application center in another country?
2 is there any potential negative effects on my application if i change my address to another country?

I also found this on cic web site:
Can I leave Canada while IRCC processes my application for permanent residence?

Yes. However, if you leave Canada while your application is being processed, you must meet all the admissibility rules before being allowed back into Canada.

If you leave Canada and want to return, you must have all the required documents to enter. This can include:

If you are unable to return to Canada, we could determine that you abandoned your application. In that case, we will not process it.

3, This is kind of confusing to me , if I leave canada and do not have a visa, I will not be able to come back if my application is rejected. Does this mean that I abandon my application according to the above Q&A?

jefag1

Sep 27, 2018
Hey Ryan1985 - wondering whether you have any luck with your approach above or updates on what happened? I'm in a similar position at the moment, I applied for inland Canadian Experience Class PR & BOWP, I'm currently on implied status still working in Canada awaiting the outcomes of these two applications, but I'm needing to head home for a period of time. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated, cheers!

Reactions: Armstrong17

ryan1985

Sep 19, 2017
Hey Ryan1985 - wondering whether you have any luck with your approach above or updates on what happened? I'm in a similar position at the moment, I applied for inland Canadian Experience Class PR & BOWP, I'm currently on implied status still working in Canada awaiting the outcomes of these two applications, but I'm needing to head home for a period of time. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated, cheers!
Hi there, To my understanding it is ok to leave Canada while waiting for the results. However, you have to make sure you can enter canada after your travel. in case your passport do not need a visa to enter canada, you can leave safely and come back when you want. In case your passport needs a visa to enter canada, you need to apply a visa before you leave. I believe the BOWP will be able to support your application.
This is only my understanding. I did not try this, as my application approved before I leave. So please also consult with other people before you make a decision.

All the best

Pariya

Star Member
Oct 28, 2019
Hello, I applied for Express Entry and still I am waiting for an invitation for almost 6 months. I have an open work permit that will expire in 5 months. I can not extend it because I have it for 3 years. Anyone know how I can stay in Canada and continue working?