+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I land in Ontario Canada through Michigan, US to get my PR: pls. advise

chithbhai

Nov 7, 2008
Hello all,
I thought of posting my question here since most seem to have already completed their PR steps.
We recently got our immigrants visas on our passports through the Alberta Immigration Nominee Program (AINP). We need to enter Canada to get our PR cards. We are currently in the US. We have some questions and your help will be greatly appreciated.

1. To complete our 'landing' in Canada to get our PR cards, do we have to fly to Alberta or can we enter Ontario, Canada by road through Michigan, US?

2. After we enter Canada, how long does it take to get the PR cards?

3. If it takes some time to get the PR cards, can the cards be mailed back to US by CIC or do we have to give Canadian address?
If we have to give Canadian address, can we give our friends address? Or do we have to be physically present in Canada till we get our PR cards?

4. If we come back to US without getting PR cards or our PR cards get lost for some reason, do we have to enter Canada again before the expiry of the Immigrant Visa or is there any other way to enter Canada? Does the expiry date of the immigrant visa apply in this case.

5. After landing in Canada, do we have to apply for the SIN card, etc. or can we do it later? Do these documents have any relation to the expiry date of the Immigrant Visa?

Pleas help. Thank you so much.

can_usa_97

May 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07/13/2010
AOR Received.
09/07/2010 in process 9/2
File Transfer...
08/12/2010
Med's Request
Rcv'd dtd 10/18
Med's Done....
06/22/2010
Interview........
Waived dtd 10/18
Passport Req..
11/04/2010
VISA ISSUED...
11/16/2010
LANDED..........
06/18/2011
chithbhai said:
Hello all,
I thought of posting my question here since most seem to have already completed their PR steps.
We recently got our immigrants visas on our passports through the Alberta Immigration Nominee Program (AINP). We need to enter Canada to get our PR cards. We are currently in the US. We have some questions and your help will be greatly appreciated.

1. To complete our 'landing' in Canada to get our PR cards, do we have to fly to Alberta or can we enter Ontario, Canada by road through Michigan, US?

I am not familiar with the AINP Program, so I can't answer that.

I landed yesterday, and they said 3-4 weeks.

3. If it takes some time to get the PR cards, can the cards be mailed back to US by CIC or do we have to give Canadian address?
If we have to give Canadian address, can we give our friends address? Or do we have to be physically present in Canada till we get our PR cards?

The Immigration officer who landed me yesterday - I landed and drove straight back home in the US - asked if I had a family member to mail it to within Canada. They will not mail it to you in the uS.

4. If we come back to US without getting PR cards or our PR cards get lost for some reason, do we have to enter Canada again before the expiry of the Immigrant Visa or is there any other way to enter Canada? Does the expiry date of the immigrant visa apply in this case.

I'm not sure how the AINP works, if it's like family class so I won't answer in case it's different.

5. After landing in Canada, do we have to apply for the SIN card, etc. or can we do it later? Do these documents have any relation to the expiry date of the Immigrant Visa?

You can do this at anytime, as I understand, as I did not yesterday and won't till I move for good.

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
I have read in the forum that there were AINP nominees who landed in Toronto. You just have to mention to the immigration officers that you are just landing and will be going back to the US but you will be settling in Alberta later. You have to provide them an address in Alberta where the PR cards can be mailed, they will not mail the PR cards to the US. I'm not sure if they will allow an address other than Alberta since you are under AINP.

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
chithbhai said:
Thank you can_usa_97 and BZ Mom.
Does anyone else know about AINP specifics.
What do you want to know? I am also an AINP.

vanwilder

Star Member
Apr 16, 2011
Hello,

I am also Alberta Nominee I landed to vancouver POE last year and there was no issues. I applied for the PR card and SIN no. the same day and gave Alberta mailing address. I think it took about 4 weeks for me to get PR card. I returned to usa the same day. I would encourage you to try finding more about landing in ontario so that u dont have any issues if any rules have changed or it might also depends on officers at POE.
Myself trying to move to canada permanently in august. I am planning to stay at my frens place in toronto first because i dont know anyone in canada other than just one fren who is in toronto. I am ready to move to anyplace where i find the job offcourse Alberta would be my first priority. I am also little concern if there would be any issue when i enter toronto (although i already have my PR card) with me. if u come accross any link or scenarios pls let me also know okay. i would also inform you any informations when i have one. Good luck to you !

chithbhai said:
Hello all,

chithbhai

Nov 7, 2008
Vanwilder, thx. for your reply. Did you enter vancouver by road to get your PR? I am thinking of entering Ontario through MI, USA by road. Also, will it be ok to give the address of a person who is staying outside Alberta for the PR cards?

I called CIC but they did not give me an answer whether landing in Ontario will be OK even though I am AINP. They suggested Canadian Border Service but its difficult to contact them. Thx.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Be careful. In November of last year, immigration issued new instructions for their border officers regarding PNP nominees. If you land in a province outside your PNP province, it is upon you to convince them that you still intend to settle in your PNP province. If they do not believe you, they can take your landing papers and forward them to AINP and you would have to go there and clear it up with them if you still want your PR.

Here is the bulletin:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob251.asp