+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I hold multiple Canda visas- Open work permit and employer specific work permit?

rahul86s

Dec 4, 2019
I have open work permit which I got as a dependent and will begin in Mar/2020. My current employer wants to apply for employer specific work permit for me.

My questions are-

• Can I hold 2 visas simultaneously?
  • When my employer apply for this visa, would my open work permit cancel?
  • should my employer mention about my open work permit while applying for visa?
Any suggestions here greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So what is your objective of getting a closed permit when you have an open permit other than I guess to break away from being a dependant ? I would suspect that if you get a closed permit that the open one will be cancelled, but others will need to comment on that.

Reactions: Buletruck

rahul86s

Dec 4, 2019
So what is your objective of getting a closed permit when you have an open permit other than I guess to break away from being a dependant ? I would suspect that if you get a closed permit that the open one will be cancelled, but others will need to comment on that.
Thank you for your response.
The reasons are that my employer doesn't prefer dependent specific open work permit and also my open work permit is just for a year while my expected project duration is approximately 3 years.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I have open work permit which I got as a dependent and will begin in Mar/2020. My current employer wants to apply for employer specific work permit for me.

My questions are-

As far as I am aware, you can only hold one permit at a time.

rahul86s

Dec 4, 2019
As far as I am aware, you can only hold one permit at a time.
I am already holding open work permit so does that mean when my employee applies for an employee-specific work permit my previous status will cancel automatically?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I am already holding open work permit so does that mean when my employee applies for an employee-specific work permit my previous status will cancel automatically?
Quite probably. As you are already in Canada, why not check with the IRCC’s Call Centre?

rahul86s

Dec 4, 2019
Quite probably. As you are already in Canada, why not check with the IRCC’s Call Centre?
My apologies for the confusion here. I am in USA currently and my open work permit and visa will start from Apr 2020. My employer is planning to apply for the employee-specific work permit.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My apologies for the confusion here. I am in USA currently and my open work permit and visa will start from Apr 2020. My employer is planning to apply for the employee-specific work permit.
That means that you do not yet hold any work permit. Permits are issued upon entering Canada.

On what grounds would you qualify for a closed work permit? Does the employer have a positive LMIA?

Nov 26, 2019

My questions are-

Brother help me let your employer also employe me+2349031149035