+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I go to the US for a week with a Visitor Record

soniktrooth

Apr 6, 2015
My wife and I are both Australian citizens but my wife is also a Canadian PR. We are in the process of gathering our paper work in order to apply for her to sponsor myself and our children into Canada. We are currently IN Canada, however because of complications getting our Australian tax sorted, the process is taking a long time and I recently had to apply to extend my visitor visa. This was granted and I now have a visitor record that expires in Feb 06 however it says on the bottom of it ***THIS DOES NOT AUTHORIZE RE-ENTRY***.

My question is this: can I go to the US for a week and be allowed back into Canada? Everything I've read about visitor visas says that re-entry from the US is allowed however I'm unsure because it feels like I'm not on a normal visitor visa anymore because it's an extension—maybe it's treated differently. Also the ***THIS DOES NOT AUTHORIZE RE-ENTRY*** has me thinking I'm not allowed to leave.

Any advice/experience would be great.

Thanks

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello, and welcome to the forum :)

soniktrooth said:
My wife and I are both Australian citizens but my wife is also a Canadian PR. We are in the process of gathering our paper work in order to apply for her to sponsor myself and our children into Canada. We are currently IN Canada, however because of complications getting our Australian tax sorted, the process is taking a long time and I recently had to apply to extend my visitor visa. This was granted and I now have a visitor record that expires in Feb 06 however it says on the bottom of it ***THIS DOES NOT AUTHORIZE RE-ENTRY***.

My question is this: can I go to the US for a week and be allowed back into Canada? Everything I've read about visitor visas says that re-entry from the US is allowed however I'm unsure because it feels like I'm not on a normal visitor visa anymore because it's an extension—maybe it's treated differently. Also the ***THIS DOES NOT AUTHORIZE RE-ENTRY*** has me thinking I'm not allowed to leave.

Any advice/experience would be great.

Thanks
If you leave, you 'lose' your visitor status and thus have to reapply for new status when you want to re-enter.

Therefore, the "***THIS DOES NOT AUTHORIZE RE-ENTRY***" doesn't mean you can't leave; it means it doesn't grant you permission to enter Canada should you choose to exit the country before the permit/extension expires. Think of it like parking in a parking lot that doesn't have in and out privileges (instead, once you leave the garage you need a new ticket if you go back in to the garage).

Some people have reported being allowed back in on the same visitor record, but really it depends on the Border Services Officer at the border. More often, people get new status upon entry (you - or your wife - could request a visitor record but it's not guaranteed). Therefore, if you decide to exit Canada it would help to have documentation to show your stay is indeed temporary and you have plans to leave (should the sponsorship not be completed before your status expires). I'd take a copy of your extension - which shows you care about keeping your status valid - and proof of payment of your sponsorship application (people have reported Officers taking it as a sign of commitment to do things by the book, so to speak).

soniktrooth said:
Everything I've read about visitor visas says that re-entry from the US is allowed
I suspect you are referring to single entry visas which are used up after one entry to Canada (except if you travel to the US or St Pierre and Miquelon). This doesn't apply to you because as an Australian citizen you are visa exempt.

ETA: A visa is a document glued into your passport which tells the Border Services Officers an initial check has been done on your background (and thus they can evaluate you for entry to Canada) and which is also helpful for commercial travel to Canada. As an Australian citizen you don't need a visitor visa if you are visiting Canada. This is different from both visitor status you gain if you are allowed entry at the border and from the duration of stay you are granted at the border after inspection.

nick.rwth

Oct 7, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
EE 474 points (6th draw)
OhCanadiana said:
Hello, and welcome to the forum :)

If you leave, you 'lose' your visitor status and thus have to reapply for new status when you want to re-enter.

Therefore, the "***THIS DOES NOT AUTHORIZE RE-ENTRY***" doesn't mean you can't leave; it means it doesn't grant you permission to enter Canada should you choose to exit the country before the permit/extension expires. Think of it like parking in a parking lot that doesn't have in and out privileges (instead, once you leave the garage you need a new ticket if you go back in to the garage).

Some people have reported being allowed back in on the same visitor record, but really it depends on the Border Services Officer at the border. More often, people get new status upon entry (you - or your wife - could request a visitor record but it's not guaranteed). Therefore, if you decide to exit Canada it would help to have documentation to show your stay is indeed temporary and you have plans to leave (should the sponsorship not be completed before your status expires). I'd take a copy of your extension - which shows you care about keeping your status valid - and proof of payment of your sponsorship application (people have reported Officers taking it as a sign of commitment to do things by the book, so to speak).

I suspect you are referring to single entry visas which are used up after one entry to Canada (except if you travel to the US or St Pierre and Miquelon). This doesn't apply to you because as an Australian citizen you are visa exempt.

ETA: A visa is a document glued into your passport which tells the Border Services Officers an initial check has been done on your background (and thus they can evaluate you for entry to Canada) and which is also helpful for commercial travel to Canada. As an Australian citizen you don't need a visitor visa if you are visiting Canada. This is different from both visitor status you gain if you are allowed entry at the border and from the duration of stay you are granted at the border after inspection.
Stupid advice!

With visitors record you allowed to travel to US unlimited number of times!

But Mexico for example if forbidden!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

nick.rwth said:
Stupid advice!

With visitors record you allowed to travel to US unlimited number of times!

But Mexico for example if forbidden!
1. But it is correct advise. When you leave Canada and return as a visitor you are re-examined on re-entry. There is no automatic entry.

nick.rwth

Oct 7, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
EE 474 points (6th draw)
PMM said:
Hi

1. But it is correct advise. When you leave Canada and return as a visitor you are re-examined on re-entry. There is no automatic entry.

I have visitors permit granted for 6 month.
Each time I travel to US and back there is no re-examination.
Also I need visa for Canada which in expired, but permit is valid.

Maybe you need re examination if you only have stamp in your passport