+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I go to school while I am waiting for my CEC Result?

aa105942

Star Member
Jun 7, 2014
Hi guys
I am on post grad work permit and it is valid till August 2015. I am going to apply for my PR under CEC on December 2014. since the processing times for my permanent residence to be approved range from 4 months to around 14, with most cases being processed later rather than sooner. I would like know if it is possible for me to get an admission for a master program and apply for study permit while I am waiting for my PR being processed. I have been told by couple of friends that it is very likely that my study permit is being rejected if I apply inside Canada. I don’t think I can continue working with my employer since my contract is going to end in January 2015 and I really want to go and do master asap.
I appreciate any reply to my question

thisisauser

Nov 23, 2012
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
I don't see any reason why your study permit would be rejected, at least not from what you've stated here.

aa105942

Star Member
Jun 7, 2014
thisisauser said:
I don't see any reason why your study permit would be rejected, at least not from what you've stated here.
Don't you have to convince the visa officer that you are going to leave Canada after your study in case of study permit? If you have applied for Permanent residency, wouldn't he know that you are planning to stay in Canada after your study and rejects your application based on that?

MenicMonday

Feb 25, 2014
The VO will be more concerned if he has funds to support his study.

Note that when you apply for a WP extension or a BoWP while your PR application is being processed, you can even state that you intend to stay in Canada Permanently even if in theory, Workers/Students should only be Temporary. Of course when they issue the permits, it will have the usual "Must leave Canada by".
I think the same principle applies here.

akhan127

Star Member
Mar 20, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP- Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-06-2013
AOR Received.
29-07-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
11-02-2014 RPRF Request..: 31-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
07-04-2014
LANDED..........
17-04-2014
aa105942 said:
Hi guys
I am on post grad work permit and it is valid till August 2015. I am going to apply for my PR under CEC on December 2014. since the processing times for my permanent residence to be approved range from 4 months to around 14, with most cases being processed later rather than sooner. I would like know if it is possible for me to get an admission for a master program and apply for study permit while I am waiting for my PR being processed. I have been told by couple of friends that it is very likely that my study permit is being rejected if I apply inside Canada. I don't think I can continue working with my employer since my contract is going to end in January 2015 and I really want to go and do master asap.
I appreciate any reply to my question
This shouldn't be a problem...I was studying fulltime in a bachelor's program while waiting for my CEC result and there were no issues...I applied under CEC in June 2013..Applied for study permit in Sept 2014 and was approved in like 5 days..My pr was approved on the 7th April and I landed on the 17th April..so I don't think it should be an issue..

aa105942

Star Member
Jun 7, 2014
Cool, Thanks for your answers guys. I also checked CIC website and used their online questionnaire and found I am eligible for study permit while I am waiting for PR. It seems I was confused by people who didn't have accurate information on this matter .