+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I go to a different College on the DLI list for the next semester?

snydox

Nov 22, 2017
I'm currently studying and living in BC with my wife. I have my study permit until November 30th, 2019. My wife has an open work permit and she is currently working. However, I do not want to go to the same University anymore. Since I have been out of school for a long time (years) I do not feel comfortable going to a huge University. Indeed, I feel overwhelmed. Therefore I was thinking on going to a Private College like Sprott Shaw for the next semester.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Private colleges are a very bad idea if you have any plans to eventually apply for PR. Typically you don't qualify for a PGWP if you attend a private college. If you don't want to attend university - switch to a public college rather than private.

Reactions: snydox

snydox

Nov 22, 2017
Private colleges are a very bad idea if you have any plans to eventually apply for PR. Typically you don't qualify for a PGWP if you attend a private college. If you don't want to attend university - switch to a public college rather than private.
Thank you for your reply. My second question will be, If I don't enroll the next semester will I still be able to stay in Canada? Or could I just skip the next semester (Winter) and enroll during summer or fall at a different school? The other problem I am facing is that we are living in a small town (Kamloops) with just one public university and I am looking forward to move to Kelowna during the spring season.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your reply. My second question will be, If I don't enroll the next semester will I still be able to stay in Canada? Or could I just skip the next semester (Winter) and enroll during summer or fall at a different school? The other problem I am facing is that we are living in a small town (Kamloops) with just one public university and I am looking forward to move to Kelowna during the spring season.
You would have to stop working immediately as soon as you drop out of school and won't be able to start working again until your new program begins. You also have to keep in mind that your study permit is automatically canceled once you're out of school for more than 90 days. So you would probably want to change your status to visitor and then reapply for a new study permit. Taking unscheduled breaks in your studies creates challenges. Whatever you do, make sure you don't work illegally between programs. CIC is now routinely refusing PGWP for this specific reason.

snydox

Nov 22, 2017
You would have to stop working immediately as soon as you drop out of school and won't be able to start working again until your new program begins. You also have to keep in mind that your study permit is automatically canceled once you're out of school for more than 90 days. So you would probably want to change your status to visitor and then reapply for a new study permit. Taking unscheduled breaks in your studies creates challenges. Whatever you do, make sure you don't work illegally between programs. CIC is now routinely refusing PGWP for this specific reason.
Well, My wife is the one working, I have never worked here. What if I study one short diploma in Sprott Shaw and then I request to extend my permit to Study in Kelowna later? I am thinking on going to the Okanagan College.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Given that private colleges are expensive and often don't lead to any benefit in terms of employment I would try and take some classes that you may be able to use as transfer credits at college. Also attending a private college could effect you PGWP application.

Reactions: snydox

snydox

Nov 22, 2017
Given that private colleges are expensive and often don't lead to any benefit in terms of employment I would try and take some classes that you may be able to use as transfer credits at college. Also attending a private college could effect you PGWP application.
I decided to do that. Thank you. I will take courses I could transfer to the Okanagan College.