+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I go out of Canada after applying for citizenship

heszak

Mar 11, 2017
I'm eligible to apply for citizenship in mid April 2017 but I need to go out of the country in mid May for a couple of months. I'm not sure whether it makes any problem in my citizenship application based on the new rules or not? cause the new rule (after June 2015) requires 'Intent to reside' and I'm not sure what that exactly mean? Has anyone had a similar situation?

p.s. I'll have my mails be sent to a friends place so I can immediately come back to take the test and oath when needed.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Yes, not a problem....as long as you're not permanently outside of Canada.
Be prepared to return for test/oath etc on short notice. Ensure your friend updates you immediately when u get any letters.
Check eCAS(online status) daily or weekly as well after the acknowledgment of your application received by CIC.

sidestep4u

Sep 27, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
surrey bc
NOC Code......
citizenship
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
dec 19 2016
Interview........
mar 9 2017
canvis2006 said:
Yes, not a problem....as long as you're not permanently outside of Canada.
Be prepared to return for test/oath etc on short notice. Ensure your friend updates you immediately when u get any letters.
Check eCAS(online status) daily or weekly as well after the acknowledgment of your application received by CIC.
i applied nov 2016. went out of canada dec 2016 for 45 days returned feb 2017. took test and interview as well. no issues

they are not worried if u go out . all they need is 1460 days to clock when u apply

heszak

Mar 11, 2017
Thanks, but I have to be out of the country for maybe 6 months and have to quit my job here. how can I show my 'Intent to reside' then?

heszak

Mar 11, 2017
sidestep4u said:
i applied nov 2016. went out of canada dec 2016 for 45 days returned feb 2017. took test and interview as well. no issues

they are not worried if u go out . all they need is 1460 days to clock when u apply
thanks but your trip was short and you probably had your job once you come back to Canada, so the officer knew your intent to reside. right?

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
even something as simple as applying for jobs in Canada (keeping track and evidence) can show intent.
But quitting a job and moving permanently overseas can be questioned, be parepared to answer. It's not a crime to look for jobs outside Canada.
But for citizenship purposes be prepared for extra scrutiny

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
canvis2006 said:
even something as simple as applying for jobs in Canada (keeping track and evidence) can show intent.
But quitting a job and moving permanently overseas can be questioned, be parepared to answer. It's not a crime to look for jobs outside Canada.
But for citizenship purposes be prepared for extra scrutiny
Looking for a job outside of Canada can be evidence of lacking the intent to reside. Although travelling outside of Canada is not in and of itself evidence of anything, an extended trip could raise flags.

willzou

Star Member
Sep 30, 2016
if just leave for vacation, go for it.
if you want to quit job in Canada and look for job outside Canada, DO NOT do it before you get citizenship.

mda201701

Mar 3, 2017
I believe the only practical meaning of "intend to reside" is that you must check yes on the application form or your application will be returned.

The officer may doubt your intention to reside and question you during the interview, but he or she cannot reject your application so long as you meet all the requirements. When you check yes under "intend to reside", this requirement is already satisfied.

ddlyt

Mar 15, 2017
I suggest that you remain in Canada until your oath ceremony. The visa office has definite power over whether to let you get approved. So don't give them any reason to doubt your intention to live in Canada.

mda201701

Mar 3, 2017
It is understandable that most applicants tend to be over-conscious. The "intend to reside" law, however, is simply nonoperational and unconstitutional. How can the officials judge the intentions of applicants? It is very easy to be abused. Being requested to intend to reside in Canada, the naturalised Canadian are treated as second class citizens. The CIC people understood these very well, so they designed a silly way to meet the stupid law. Actually I have never heard of anyone being denied citizenship just because of this law.

I totally support the liberal government to repeal it.

Godzilla9

Sep 22, 2012
mda201701 said:
It is understandable that most applicants tend to be over-conscious. The "intend to reside" law, however, is simply nonoperational and unconstitutional. How can the officials judge the intentions of applicants? It is very easy to be abused. Being requested to intend to reside in Canada, the naturalised Canadian are treated as second class citizens. The CIC people understood these very well, so they designed a silly way to meet the stupid law. Actually I have never heard of anyone being denied citizenship just because of this law.

I totally support the liberal government to repeal it.
Laws that require subjectivity in decision are still enforceable. Those who apply for citizenship must show their intention to reside in Canada while their application is in process. The applicant must ensure that they have enough proof to support their intention. Work, family, and similar are good proofs. The government does not abuse with this requirement, and it's good.