+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I get study permit if I didn't get the POE letter from the visa office?

lisi1013

Aug 2, 2019
Hello!
I got my student visa stamped on my passport on May. I also got a letter saying that my biometrics was approved (valid for 10 years) but I did not get the POE emailed to me and was not aware of such a document. I found out recently that this needs to be shown to the immigration officer so that they can issue a study permit for me. I will be travelling on the coming 23rd. I have sent a request regarding this to CIC but have not recieved any respose yet. I have the other required documents with me- letter from the university (offer of admission), biometrics approval letter and student visa.
Will I get a study permit issued or is there any particular procedure to go through for getting it?
Any helpful replies would be greatly appreciated as I am travelling currently and it would be hard for me to get things done easily (no wifi at some places).
Note- I am not from a visa exempt country so I can't exit to the US in case i need to exit and re-enter Canada.
Thank you !

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Hello!
I got my student visa stamped on my passport on May. I also got a letter saying that my biometrics was approved (valid for 10 years) but I did not get the POE emailed to me and was not aware of such a document. I found out recently that this needs to be shown to the immigration officer so that they can issue a study permit for me. I will be travelling on the coming 23rd. I have sent a request regarding this to CIC but have not recieved any respose yet. I have the other required documents with me- letter from the university (offer of admission), biometrics approval letter and student visa.
Will I get a study permit issued or is there any particular procedure to go through for getting it?
Any helpful replies would be greatly appreciated as I am travelling currently and it would be hard for me to get things done easily (no wifi at some places).
Note- I am not from a visa exempt country so I can't exit to the US in case i need to exit and re-enter Canada.
Thank you !
You don't need the POE letter to enter, however some institutions require it before you register for classes. When you get your passport, you would have received a slip notifying you that only the TRV visa that is stamped on your passport is required and that the officials have all the information already.

Some people don't get the POE letter, and they have got the study permit without issue, just mention this to the border official. You can send a webform enquiry if you need the POE letter, however to get the study permit, just the passport with visa stamp will be required.

Jessevly

May 11, 2019
What kind of advice is this?? In cic page, it is explicitly written what u need at point of entry, please make sure you have your introduction letter to avoid waste of flight, also learn to use Google, not everything needs opinion by experience, good luck with your studies, keep sending webform till you get reply

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
What kind of advice is this?? In cic page, it is explicitly written what u need at point of entry, please make sure you have your introduction letter to avoid waste of flight, also learn to use Google, not everything needs opinion by experience, good luck with your studies, keep sending webform till you get reply
LOI is not required anymore since the information is now in their system. I received a slip along with my visa which states that I don't need any other document as everything else is uploaded in their system. Many people who haven't received LOI letter have gotten their permits without issue.

See one discussion on this forum for example.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/port-of-entry-poe-letter-of-introduction-not-received.457599/page-2

BTW, I used google to find this, so before you start criticising others, I would suggest you use google yourself.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
hmm when did they change it? and at least cic is more efficient now
Don't know, I had the same concerns as OP since mine didn't show up right away. While the slip was reassuring, I google and found some posts dating from 2017. Better to have it, but the world isn't going to end if you don't.

lisi1013

Aug 2, 2019
You don't need the POE letter to enter, however some institutions require it before you register for classes. When you get your passport, you would have received a slip notifying you that only the TRV visa that is stamped on your passport is required and that the officials have all the information already.

Some people don't get the POE letter, and they have got the study permit without issue, just mention this to the border official. You can send a webform enquiry if you need the POE letter, however to get the study permit, just the passport with visa stamp will be required.
I did't get any slip like that when I got my passport back. Is that still ok? I have sent a request to CIC already.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
I did't get any slip like that when I got my passport back. Is that still ok? I have sent a request to CIC already.
Wait for their response and check GC key for the POE letter, note that on GC Key it is called correspondence letter and not POE letter. I don't think the rules will change from one person to another. Your details must be there in the system like mine are, it's a very small slip and chances are you have forgotten about it or it is still in your passport somewhere, rather than a difference in policy from one person to another.

Legally speaking, you only need a TRV to travel to Canada. Some airlines ask students for the POE letter before boarding, although it literally says on the POE letter that it is not a travel document. I would contact your airline to see what documents they require for you to board the plane. As far as IRCC is concerned, you do not need the POE letter anymore.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
I would suggest you take a screenshot and print out the GC Key page, which shows that your application has been approved, just in case.

lisi1013

Aug 2, 2019
I would suggest you take a screenshot and print out the GC Key page, which shows that your application has been approved, just in case.
Are you talking about the Email which says that my visa has been approved and I must submit my passort for getting it stamped on my passport?
And I did not apply online for it so everything came in email.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Are you talking about the Email which says that my visa has been approved and I must submit my passort for getting it stamped on my passport?
And I did not apply online for it so everything came in email.

No, there will be another one letter. I would suggest you link application to GCkey.

lisi1013

Aug 2, 2019
No, there will be another one letter. I would suggest you link application to GCkey.
isn't that the POE that you are refering to? And I cant link my application because the form was done with the help of my educational consultancy and I am not sure of the exact information that was entered (it was filled mainly by my mom and them... I just provided neccessary answers which was needed). I cannot link the application without having the exact details.

akashambadas

Star Member
Jul 1, 2019
Navi Mumbai
App. Filed.......
16-07-2019
isn't that the POE that you are refering to? And I cant link my application because the form was done with the help of my educational consultancy and I am not sure of the exact information that was entered (it was filled mainly by my mom and them... I just provided neccessary answers which was needed). I cannot link the application without having the exact details.
ask your consultancy, they might have your login for gckey and letter

Last edited:

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/account/link-paper-online.html

Sign up for GC Key account, then click on link application. They will give several options of data. One of them will be given name, surname and date of birth. I am sure you can provide those information on your own.

Joy68

Star Member
Jul 30, 2019
Hello!
Thank you !
You will need a POE to get the Study Permit. One of my friend who entered Canada yesterday had to produce it to the immigration officer in Vancouver International Airport. I suggest you send webform and also check with any helpline in your country IRCC office.

lisi1013

Aug 2, 2019
Hello!
Thank you !
UPDATE-
I sent an email to immigration services on the 4th and I got the POE sent to my email today morning (6th). Hopefully everything else goes smoothly.
Thanks to all of you who offered your suggestions, tips etc and helped me along the way. Hope you have a great day!