+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I get my reference letter in advance before I get Invitation Letter?

Umer221

Star Member
May 13, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2017
I am currently working at a company and I have completed 1 year of full time. Now I have decided to leave the company and work some where else.
Can I get my reference letter now before I leave this company and use it latter when I get my invitation letter for express entry even after 1 year?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Preferably get it on your last day with the company or just after that so that it covers the entire tenure.

Umer221

Star Member
May 13, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2017
Asivad Anac said:
Preferably get it on your last day with the company or just after that so that it covers the entire tenure.
Thanks for your reply..
It is helpful

babarsaeed02263

Star Member
Feb 23, 2015
Hi Asivad Anac,

I need to Ask 1 question, i asked my current employer to give me a reference letter on format set by the CIC but they refused, later i played with them and said i'm intending to acquire some professional certification and i need a letter for that, they provided after after a long discussion but that is not a generic one they wrote.

as follows, in spite of writing, to whom it may concern, they wrote To Canadian institute of Quantity Surveyors

and at the end they mentioned this letter is being issued on the request of employee for initiating a professional certification with the CIQS.

here the problem is, when i shall leave them they won't provide me a ref letter on required format (Bcoz they are biased ) could i use the same letter they issued for CIQS.

Sorry the Question is quite long but i shall appreciate if you could reply.

thanks.and kind regards.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
babarsaeed02263 said:
Hi Asivad Anac,

I need to Ask 1 question, i asked my current employer to give me a reference letter on format set by the CIC but they refused, later i played with them and said i'm intending to acquire some professional certification and i need a letter for that, they provided after after a long discussion but that is not a generic one they wrote.

as follows, in spite of writing, to whom it may concern, they wrote To Canadian institute of Quantity Surveyors

and at the end they mentioned this letter is being issued on the request of employee for initiating a professional certification with the CIQS.

here the problem is, when i shall leave them they won't provide me a ref letter on required format (Bcoz they are biased ) could i use the same letter they issued for CIQS.

Sorry the Question is quite long but i shall appreciate if you could reply.

thanks.and kind regards.
This can be used but it will need a nicely worded LOE to explain the whole background of why it is addresses to a specific organization.

affan_123

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
Umer221 said:
I am currently working at a company and I have completed 1 year of full time. Now I have decided to leave the company and work some where else.
Can I get my reference letter now before I leave this company and use it latter when I get my invitation letter for express entry even after 1 year?
Umer, if you are planning to leave your company and if you find another job i am sure you will serve a notice period. Then ask your company to provide you a letter. It wont serve as a reference letter but just a single letter you can use to prove your experience when required from another company. Hope you understood what i mean.

Ganrock1981

Star Member
Jul 23, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi babarsaeed02263,
Since your company is not giving you letter in the format requested by CIC (not many companies do) you have the below options.

1. Get whatever letter they provide and attach the LOE ( its not the shortest/clearest way and not recommended if you have other options)
2. Send an email to the HR requesting for a letter on company letterhead, detailing your tenure (mention Permanent role), your salary, and designation and duties (this needs to be done with interpersonal skills with the HR) - if they refuse to provide this letter, get a written confirmation that they cannot.
3. Use the rejection letter from above and create your own format and get it signed by you supervisor (anybody in a higher role) along with their visitor card.

Approach 2&3 is recommended by CIC website.

Umer221

Star Member
May 13, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2017
affan_123 said:
Umer, if you are planning to leave your company and if you find another job i am sure you will serve a notice period. Then ask your company to provide you a letter. It wont serve as a reference letter but just a single letter you can use to prove your experience when required from another company. Hope you understood what i mean.
Thanks for your reply..
Would you mind explaining it?
I didn't understand exactly what you mean.
Thanks brother,,

krystlebustle

Jun 20, 2015
HI! Can someone write the format of the reference letter from the employer that CIC requires? I am doing this in advance because I want to resign from my job and transfer to another.

hossamo33

Mar 17, 2015
I am planning to submit a reference letter that I received a couple of months ago from the company I still currently work for. Instead of going through the trouble of asking for a new reference letter, I am going to attach a pay stub to prove that I still work for the same company. I think that should be ok, right?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hossamo33 said:
I am planning to submit a reference letter that I received a couple of months ago from the company I still currently work for. Instead of going through the trouble of asking for a new reference letter, I am going to attach a pay stub to prove that I still work for the same company. I think that should be ok, right?
Yes.

Attach a few recent pay stubs in case you are attempting to conclusively establish continuity of employment and if that matters towards your CRS score. You do not want to be in a situation where the officer awards you points based on that reference letter for the 'past' experience but not for the experience acquired since the letter was obtained. Add any other supporting documentation and an LOE as well to reaffirm that your roles & responsibilities haven't changed since the time you acquired that reference letter (this will be critical if you are claiming points for the recent experience).

Hope that clarifies. All the best!

EFK

Feb 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi..

My boss will be re-assigned by end of this month... I am still awaiting ECA and IELTS score in a few weeks and hoping to apply for EE this month...
Can I get the reference letter for him? As he has been my supervisor throughout the entire period (I complete 3 years and 1 month in August), so just want to get the letter from him now.. is that alright?

Also, my current contract monthly.. so even my pay stub says (end of contract xx August 2015), and my next one will say (end of contract xx September 2015), so I would rather not add that.... can I just avoid it?
I got 2 years of continuous employment earlier.. my last 10 months have been on monthly contract basis (also continuous, but I will have to take a break in service in September).

Thanks

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
EFK said:
hi..

My boss will be re-assigned by end of this month... I am still awaiting ECA and IELTS score in a few weeks and hoping to apply for EE this month...
Can I get the reference letter for him? As he has been my supervisor throughout the entire period (I complete 3 years and 1 month in August), so just want to get the letter from him now.. is that alright?

Yes.

Also, my current contract monthly.. so even my pay stub says (end of contract xx August 2015), and my next one will say (end of contract xx September 2015), so I would rather not add that.... can I just avoid it?
I got 2 years of continuous employment earlier.. my last 10 months have been on monthly contract basis (also continuous, but I will have to take a break in service in September).

CIC doesn't ask for pay stubs. Get your salary mentioned in the reference letter.

Thanks

lotusEsp

Star Member
Feb 19, 2015
they asked me for paystubs - for both canadian jobs I'd held.
I was applying under CEC.

I dont think you need to give paystubs for employment outside of Canada (i.e. foreign experience)