+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I get my passport back from the Canadian government?

junola

Nov 3, 2010
I am originally from Congo. I applied for Asylum but I have done the formal interview yet. I was however given a 5 years temporary residency until they call me for my interview. I have been waiting for the interview for a year now in the mean time I found a Fiancee who's a US citizen. He has applied to bring me to the US on a K1 Visa.

Here is my dilemma I believe the American consulate in Montreal will be ready for my visa interview before the Canadian government calls me for the Asylum interview as I have been told it has been taking up to 2 years before getting called. The Canadian Government took my Congolese passport when I applied for Asylum.

Is there any way I can get that passport back? I need it if the US consulate is going to issue a Visa.

If I asked for the passport will it jeopardize my Asylum process? I am planning to move to the US eventually but I don't wanna jeopardize my status in Canada until I am sure that I will be allowed to immigrate to the US.

Please help! I don't know what to do

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
It's unlikely that the US would issue u a visa while your case is under IRPA with Canada. However, u could always apply for a Canadian Travel Document or Certificate of Identity from Passport Canada for your visits abroad.

Qorax

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

qorax said:
It's unlikely that the US would issue u a visa while your case is under IRPA with Canada. However, u could always apply for a Canadian Travel Document or Certificate of Identity from Passport Canada for your visits abroad.

Qorax
Passport office won't issue it to a person claiming refugee status.