+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I get Moderna after getting fully vaccinated with Sinovac?

omarasimd005

Mar 27, 2019
I do have a concern and will appreciate an advice from you. As an international student of USask, I'll be travelling to Canada next month however to get exempted from quarantine I need to take Pfizer, Moderna OR AstraZeneca however as I'll be travelling from Pakistan, Pakistan is only vaccinating with Sinovac and Sinopharm. I got fully vaccinnated on 3rd July with Sinovac. Last week, Moderna arrived in Pakistan for those exclusively who will be travelling abroad and need it for exemption.

My concern is, can I take Moderna now after getting fully vaccinnated with Sinovac? If so, this can save me a hefty amount and I can get the exemption as well.

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
I do have a concern and will appreciate an advice from you. As an international student of USask, I'll be travelling to Canada next month however to get exempted from quarantine I need to take Pfizer, Moderna OR AstraZeneca however as I'll be travelling from Pakistan, Pakistan is only vaccinating with Sinovac and Sinopharm. I got fully vaccinnated on 3rd July with Sinovac. Last week, Moderna arrived in Pakistan for those exclusively who will be travelling abroad and need it for exemption.

My concern is, can I take Moderna now after getting fully vaccinnated with Sinovac? If so, this can save me a hefty amount and I can get the exemption as well.
As said above, only doctors can reply you.

Sblue

May 19, 2021
Completely at your own risk, I believe. I did ask a few doctors and one said yes okay, other said get it after 6 months. Whilst a friend got pfizer after 3 months of Sinovac. So it is down to you to take the risk!

Reactions: andrews17

arhue

Star Member
Aug 17, 2020
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Ask your doctor, but it is very hard to say as there is limited data. I took the supposedly safe AstraZeneca(Covishield) and nothing else and got a bad reaction+heart pain which kept getting bad, which is now being monitored by my doctor. You never know.

Reactions: omarasimd005

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
There are no studies yet about combining Sinovac with any other vaccines. The only scientifically proved combinations are between AstraZeneca, Pfizer and Moderna. My dad received AstraZeneca on his first shot and then Pfizer.

My wife's a doctor and she received Sputnik back in May. Because of our trip to Canada, she started investigating if she could get a different vaccine, but after a lot of research she found no scientific evidence about combination of Sputnik with any other vaccines, which I believe is the same case with Sinovac or any other Chinese vaccine. She consulted some high level microbiologists and they recommended that if there's a high need of combining vaccines, she should wait at least three months between one and the other. She finally decided to take the single dose Janssen vaccine in August, three months after her second dose of Sputnik and 15 days before our flight to Canada. Taking a two dose vaccine wouldn't fit in our timeline because of the 14 days you have to wait between completing both doses and arriving to Canada.

I'm not telling you to do it or not, just sharing our similar experience with this dilemma of Canada not accepting several vaccines. Any decisions we take is at our own risk.

Rafaelhag43

May 6, 2021
The Indonesian government is going to give one dose of Moderna booster shots to the healthcare workers after they got two doses of Sinovac back in Jan and Feb. Perhaps you can search for this news in the upcoming days to see what happens to those workers.

You're going to need two doses of Moderna before qualifying for quarantine exemption, so be aware of the risks you're taking.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
This thread is going to quickly turn into a pseudo-scientific debate about vaccines which is not useful.

Talk to a doctor about your plans. People's individual experiences and thoughts on vaccines are not useful.

Reactions: omarasimd005

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There are 2 issues: whether it is safe medically to take Moderna after Sinovac and whether Canada will exempt you from quarantine with only one dose of Moderna plus 14 days. Don’t believe you will get exempted from quarantine with one dose so that may factor into your decision.

Reactions: wonderbly