+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I get in to a universty if my PR card is expired?

Shahin27

Jun 5, 2019
I landed in Canada in August 2014. I had to leave after 2-3 weeks for various reasons and have not returned to Canda since then. I am now planning to move to Canada permenantly only 2-3 weeks before my PR card expires.
I will not be able to apply for a new PR unless I remain in canada for 2 years.
During this period will I have any limitations in entering universities or eg applying for bank loans?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I landed in Canada in August 2014. I had to leave after 2-3 weeks for various reasons and have not returned to Canda since then. I am now planning to move to Canada permenantly only 2-3 weeks before my PR card expires.
I will not be able to apply for a new PR unless I remain in canada for 2 years.
During this period will I have any limitations in entering universities or eg applying for bank loans?
Since you haven’t met your RO the major issue you should be concerned about is being reported when you arrive in Canada. Different universities have different policies regarding having to show a valid PR card. Bank loans depend on past credit and collateral which will be an issue if you just arrived in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How likely is being reported on arrival? What happens if I am?
Very hard to say but you have barely spent any time in Canada. You could spend a maximum 4-5 weeks out of 5 years. If you get reported you can appeal but likely you will lose your PR. How old are you? There is a very lenient residency requirement that have not met so there are consequences.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
21. is it important?
Yes. You are much more likely to be given special consideration at 18-19. Since your parents and family never worked or settled in Canada your family hasn’t invested in Canada so you can’t be surprised if you lose your PR and have to pay international fees.

Canada is getting more strict about this but I have seen many families doing this to secure domestic fees for their children with no plans to actually work and live in Canada.

Last edited: