+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I get eTA approval after multiple visa refusals?

eagerly

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
Good day,
I'm from a country that has recently allowed eligible citizens to apply for an eTA in place of a visitor visa. I am eligible in the sense that I have a valid US non-immigrant visa. Now I want to apply so I could visit my sister, who is a Canadian citizen, but I also will leave immediately.
My concern is that I also have multiple visa refusals to Canada, despite having been granted a single entry visitor visa over 10 years ago. However, none of these refusals are due to criminal activity, which is the most common one for eTA refusals. I did, however, plan to also immigrate, but I wanted to do it legally. Here is a summary of my refusals:
  • PR visa (under the old system): Due to incomplete payment details on form.
  • Study visa (most no. of refusals): Officer did not believe my proposed studies are not reasonable in light of my qualifications.
  • Visitor visa: Office did not believe my purpose of visit is consistent with a temporary stay given the details I provided (when I applied for GCMS, there was no further explanation)
I have been seeing posts from my countrymen who are eligible for the eTA get approved as fast as 5 minutes, despite having previous visa refusals. It is also cheaper compared to a visitor visa application ($7). However, I am also concerned about the past refusals, and that another refusal will go into the system, and I would have to declare it again when I try to apply. So, simply put, should I still try applying?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Good day,
I'm from a country that has recently allowed eligible citizens to apply for an eTA in place of a visitor visa. I am eligible in the sense that I have a valid US non-immigrant visa. Now I want to apply so I could visit my sister, who is a Canadian citizen, but I also will leave immediately.
My concern is that I also have multiple visa refusals to Canada, despite having been granted a single entry visitor visa over 10 years ago. However, none of these refusals are due to criminal activity, which is the most common one for eTA refusals. I did, however, plan to also immigrate, but I wanted to do it legally. Here is a summary of my refusals:
  • Study visa (most no. of refusals): Officer did not believe my proposed studies are not reasonable in light of my qualifications.
  • Visitor visa: Office did not believe my purpose of visit is consistent with a temporary stay given the details I provided (when I applied for GCMS, there was no further explanation)
I have been seeing posts from my countrymen who are eligible for the eTA get approved as fast as 5 minutes, despite having previous visa refusals. It is also cheaper compared to a visitor visa application ($7). However, I am also concerned about the past refusals, and that another refusal will go into the system, and I would have to declare it again when I try to apply. So, simply put, should I still try applying?
Just try. You will be approved or not.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Good day,
You can certainly try applying for the eTA. None of us can tell you if you will be approved or not - or whether you should try. This is really your choice.

Make sure you declare the three previous refusals to Canada, as well as any other refusals you may have to any other country.

Since you have past refusals, your application may be treated as a non-standard application. This means that processing could take a few months.

Good luck.

Reactions: eagerly

eagerly

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
You can certainly try applying for the eTA. None of us can tell you if you will be approved or not - or whether you should try. This is really your choice.

Make sure you declare the three previous refusals to Canada, as well as any other refusals you may have to any other country.

Since you have past refusals, your application may be treated as a non-standard application. This means that processing could take a few months.

Good luck.
Just try. You will be approved or not.
Thank you

eagerly

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019

Good luck.
Thank you, really appreciate it. It’s actually more than three refusals, the study permit application alone is 5+ times:(

So in case it gets denied again, it won’t be a good look if I’ll have to declare it..Just hoping for the best..

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you, really appreciate it. It’s actually more than three refusals, the study permit application alone is 5+ times:(

So in case it gets denied again, it won’t be a good look if I’ll have to declare it..Just hoping for the best..
All you can do is try and declare all refusals.. I assume you want to live in Canada with so many refusals. Remember it is a visitor visa, not an opportunity to live and work in Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Ah - got it. It's super hard for any of us to guess what your chances will be. 5+ refusals is a lot.

eagerly

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
All you can do is try and declare all refusals.. I assume you want to live in Canada with so many refusals. Remember it is a visitor visa, not an opportunity to live and work in Canada.
Ok thank you. If ever, I only wish to visit my sister in Canada using the eTA. But I decide to study, work or live there, I will legally apply for the visa that is required. And in my past visitor visa to Canada (and even in my current US visa), I respected the conditions and left the country within the given time. I also have no record of criminal activity, and was just refused because I failed to explain how my chosen program would benefit my future employment prospects at home :( Anyway, will think about this thoroughly.

eagerly

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
Ah - got it. It's super hard for any of us to guess what your chances will be. 5+ refusals is a lot.
Thank you for the response. Yes, I was disheartened by the refusals just because I wasn't able to explain how my chosen program of studies would be of benefit to me. So this feels like another visa application, but with cheaper fee. My US non-immigrant visa wasn't able to influence the outcome of these past applications, and I did also respect the terms of my last Canada (single entry) tourist visa. I also have no criminal record. Maybe it was just my way of presenting my documents that I wasn't able to overcome possible red flags. But yes, I wouldn't really know until I try. Anyway, if I still get denied, I may have to take a break from applying.

rockers2012

May 8, 2012
Good day,
Yes you can apply and get visa in 5 minutes.dont worry you have refusal or not.

yxyyukon

Feb 5, 2023
I think after all those refusals, it is very hard to convince the visa officer that you will leave Canada after your visit. multiple attempts shows your desperation to enter Canada. I think the only reason you can is if you can show them your strong ties to your home country, plus you changed and strong financial situation and family ties. I guess the more better you can explain the more chances you would have.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would add that an ETA approval doesn’t guarantee entry into Canada. Visitors still are assessed at the airport and if there is any concern that they are not planning on just visiting, don’t have enough funds, don’t have strong ties to their home country like a job or home to return to, etc. they can be refused entry and returned on the next flight back to their home country.

eagerly

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
Would add that an ETA approval doesn’t guarantee entry into Canada. Visitors still are assessed at the airport and if there is any concern that they are not planning on just visiting, don’t have enough funds, don’t have strong ties to their home country like a job or home to return to, etc. they can be refused entry and returned on the next flight back to their home country.
Yes, I do understand this. Also in the same way that having a visa does not guarantee entry into Canada. Anyway, after much thought I tried applying and am awaiting the results. Thank you so much for all of your input. :)

eagerly

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
Update: I have already received my approval. Thank you very much to everyone this thread for all your help. Really appreciate all your input! :)

Reactions: bellaluna

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Update: I have already received my approval. Thank you very much to everyone this thread for all your help. Really appreciate all your input! :)
Congratulations. Very interesting to see how people are getting approved from the countries that have recently qualified for ETA. Have to admit I am quite surprised that you got approval given so many past refusals. Seems like the US visa overruled all previous IRCC applications. Whether the refusals come become an issue if/when you attempt to enter Canada would be interesting to know so please keep us updated.