+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I get both Indian and Canadian passports for my new born in Canada

marketstudent1

Star Member
Sep 19, 2016
Dear all,

With the grace of God, we were blessed with a baby 2 months back.

We both are PR's and was looking out for help on resources if we can apply for both the passports for my baby. Someone mentioned to me that it is possible and the child will have an option to relinquish one at the age of 18?

But I'm unable to find this.

We plan to go back to India after some time. But want the baby to have both options.

bluffmaster88

Jun 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear all,

We both are PR's and was looking out for help on resources if we can apply for both the passports for my baby. Someone mentioned to me that it is possible and the child will have an option to relinquish one at the age of 18?

We plan to go back to India after some time. But want the baby to have both options.
You can apply for either CDN or IND passport. You cant apply for both since IND doesnt recognize dual citizenship. But the baby can choose to relinquish and get the other one after 18 years.

Best choice is to apply for CDN passport and OCI.

Reactions: marketstudent1

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Dear all,

Well, I personally have got my son a Canadian passport and will get him a OCI as well. That said, you cannt apply for Indian passport IF you son already has a Canadian Passport. You can apply for Indian passport first and possibly later a Canadian passport. For a minor like him, he can enter Canada possbily with just his birth certificate (Please check with a lawyer). Not to mention Canadian government "Does not care" if he holds or does not hold an Indian passport beforehand of after the fact. Its Indian government which will not issue him an Indian passport if he holds a Canadian passport.

In theory he can hold BOTH Indian and Canadian passport till 18 and will have to surrender one at 18.

Reactions: marketstudent1