+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I get at least 5.5 band in my speaking test?

c_note

Jun 29, 2016
I know it’s very difficult to judge me but can you tell me from your experience, what chance(on scale 0-10) that I can get at least 5.5 band in my speaking test.
What I did on my examination day:
I was confident.
I did not use any filler words (like:aaa,hmm,umm). i tried to elaborate my answers.
I spoke for 2 mints and I never stop during my test.
My pronunciation and vocab were good.
But I repeat some words 2 to 3 times. In one or two questions I was less cohesive but what I fear most is I did grammar mistakes during my test may be a lot and examiner wrote down(6-7 times) something in his notebook. he was strict .
This was my first attempt and I have no idea how I performed please help me :(.

IMTS

Star Member
Sep 2, 2016
I think that the thing with the soeaking lart of the exam is that it can be very subjective. Go to the IELTS and download the assesment sheet. There they explain what is taken into account when grading.

fatehelps

Star Member
Apr 19, 2015
Dear friend,

I scored 7 in speaking during my last attempt.

I would advice you to not be very cautious about what you're saying. This will in turn pressurise you to make mistakes and give you a bad score. Inculcate an habit of making conversations with a stranger in English and this experience could help you do better in the test. You have made a mistake and if you can smartly correct it in no time, it's ok. Examiner don't mind it. I made 2 mistakes and realised it immediately when it came out of my mouth and instantaneously corrected it. This didn't harm by band score.

In my experience, in section 1 examiner gives you as much space as possible to get you accustomed to the rest of the test. Don't fail to utilise it.
Section 2 - Golden rule is to speak for 2 minutes. I spoke for 1 min and 20 sec roughly in a quick and fluent passion and paused. Examiner asked if I could add something to it as I had time, I said something relevant to complete 2 minutes. I think this is what matters. Though difficult, voice record your content over the phone while practicing and hear it again. Correct your mistakes and speak again to verify if you're doing it right. This will improvise your content and in turn help you manage the time. No watches allowed, so mapping your time mentally is much required.

Section 3 - Questions are difficult to answer. But you're expected to say something appropriate. One word answers or phrases such as 'I have no idea, I couldn't recall anything, I don't know', takes you no where. You're allowed to ask them if you can explain the question again. But never do this more than once, as examiner might mark you negative for not understanding the question.

Don't worry about mistakes during the test. IELTS is not expecting you to speak everything correctly. If you had, why is their maximum band being 9 and not 10. So relax and do well. My best wishes for you.