+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can i get a us visa before i get my p.r card ?

harry gambhir

Star Member
Apr 6, 2013
my file got an approval and I have submitted my passport for visa stamping
I should be getting it back in a week
my question is if I want to apply and go to U.S as a tourist on the urgent basis what can be done?
do I have to wait till I get my p.r card or can I go before I get my p.r card is issued?

superspecial90

Aug 13, 2017
You will need the immigrant visa along with the confirmation letter.
After receiving the passport request email, you will send/submit passport at nearest VAC.
They will send it to the relevant embassy/consulate and your passport will be sent back to you with an immigrant visa (with validity period mentioned) and a confirmation letter.
You are good to travel to Canada on that visa and apply for your PR card once you arrive.

harry gambhir

Star Member
Apr 6, 2013
You will need the immigrant visa along with the confirmation letter.
After receiving the passport request email, you will send/submit passport at nearest VAC.
They will send it to the relevant embassy/consulate and your passport will be sent back to you with an immigrant visa (with validity period mentioned) and a confirmation letter.
You are good to travel to Canada on that visa and apply for your PR card once you arrive.
I think I am getting confused now
I already submitted my passport to Ottawa for a resident visa stamping
once I get that ill apply for a u.s tourist visa
and submit my passport for stamping at the u.s embassy
once I get my passport with the u.s visa stamped then I can go to u.s and on the way back show my resident visa and document to get in and apply for a card?
did I understand it correctly?

Saskatchewan_Regina

Mar 3, 2016
Permanent residents (PR) of Canada must carry and present their valid PR card or permanent resident travel document (PRTD) when boarding a flight to Canada, or travelling to Canada on any other commercial carrier. If you do not carry your PR card or PRTD, you may not be able to board your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada.

harry gambhir

Star Member
Apr 6, 2013
Permanent residents (PR) of Canada must carry and present their valid PR card or permanent resident travel document (PRTD) when boarding a flight to Canada, or travelling to Canada on any other commercial carrier. If you do not carry your PR card or PRTD, you may not be able to board your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada.
How does one get a permanent resident travel document (PRTD) since getting a p.r card would take at least 2-3months. Anyway I could get a prtd sooner?

Saskatchewan_Regina

Mar 3, 2016
How does one get a permanent resident travel document (PRTD) since getting a p.r card would take at least 2-3months. Anyway I could get a prtd sooner?
The processing time of a prtd depends on the visa office.The average processing time is 3 weeks . However, you may get it in the same day for some visa offices.