+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Can I get a decent job after my post-grad?" - Answer yourself.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
I've seen people wondering if they can secure a decent job after completing post-secondary school in Canada as an international student or a new immigrant. Many, having completed undergrad degree from their home country, think that they can easily secure a good job if they somehow finish a post-grad (i.e. M. Eng) degree in Canada. I'm not saying that it's absurd; but it won't be easy either. Why? Explained later.

I came to Canada back in 2005, did my undergrad in Electrical Eng with co-op option and am working full-time with one of my previous co-op employers. In school, we were taught well from first year how to write resumes, apply for jobs and nail interviews. I probably faced 15~20 interviews (via phone, face-to-face, skype) during my co-op times. It's a continuous process from first year to the last that a student learns and deploys his/her skills (writing resume/cover letter/portfolio, making contacts etc.) for a job application. Now, put yourself in this scenario with a foreign degree/foreign experience/Canadian post-grad degree competing with other Canadian/non-Canadian graduates.

From my experience, for new grad job opportunities, Canadian employers prefer applicants in the following order:

[1] Graduates/post-graduates from Canadian schools with previous satisfying job experience with same employer
[2] Graduates/post-graduates from Canadian schools with similar/related job experience in Canada
[3] Graduates/post-graduates from Canadian schools with other job experiences and/or related research work
[4] Graduates/post-graduates from Canadian schools with similar/related job experience outside Canada
[5] Graduates/post-graduates from Canadian schools with no job experience but having outstanding academic results/research work

For example, if you're thinking of doing an M. Eng at a university or a post-grad diploma at a college w/o any prior job experience; you don't even make into the above list. Because M. Eng normally doesn't offer research work or co-op placements. Therefore, I said in the beginning that it's not easy to get a decent job even after finishing any Canadian degree. However, at the end, it all depends on how you perform and shine at an interview.

Now, you should consider few things before applying for post-grad studies in Canada:

• A university degree is always superior and more flexible to a college diploma
  • A research-based Masters program is always valued more over a course-based one
  • If you researched/published papers/worked in specific field in other countries; try to stick to it in choosing your Masters program
  • Always go for any co-op/internship opportunities that the program offers

I hope it will help you understand better how the job market works specially in case of hiring new/fresh graduates. Questions and comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Undercover

Sep 5, 2011
Your post explains a lot of questions that I had.

My understanding was getting a Master's in Canada and then the PGWP was a sure way of getting a good job (as you have a Canadian degree and a few years of work ex).
It doesn't seem easy from reading your post. I am totally confused (and a little disheartened) now. If master's + PGWP are still struggling to get a 'decent job' I am not sure what to do next.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Undercover said:
Your post explains a lot of questions that I had.

My understanding was getting a Master's in Canada and then the PGWP was a sure way of getting a good job (as you have a Canadian degree and a few years of work ex).
It doesn't seem easy from reading your post. I am totally confused (and a little disheartened) now. If master's + PGWP are still struggling to get a 'decent job' I am not sure what to do next.
PGWP is just a Govt. permit that lets you stay and work in Canada. It doesn't ensure a job for you. What you actually achieved during your studies (research, internship, academic results etc.), getting an interview and then excelling it would get you a job.

So, you're really asking if Master's can land with a decent job; well for that you have to choose your program/school/location carefully. I've already said what's preferred by Canadian employers.

DEVEN123

Sep 23, 2013
hi senior,
I have few question PLEASE HELP .. i am B.E ( Electronics ) and have 4+ years of IT experience ...and i did my MBA in Finance ( Part -time ) , i got opportunity to travel to US for few months from my company work .

1. now I am looking for Masters or PG 2+ years course in Canada in any University .....as my passion is Computer/ IT field and have experience in it . that's my 1st preference , BUT few people say i am from Electronics background you cannot apply for Computer/IT related course ....please help me with this ??

2. , Iam MBA in Finance passed in 2013 , so what are the courses i should apply ? which will get me a Good job in Canada where my IT expertise & Financial ( business ) related knowledge can be used extensively.

3. i have passion for both fields 1st IT/computers and 2nd Business related field . which has a bright future in canada ? ..

which location in canada where i can get a normal jobs related to my expertise . and can get course related to my preference ?

Humbly request you to please guide me .