+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I gain Permanent Residence as a Digital Nomad? (Current US Citizen)

Heine03

Apr 20, 2020
I am a US citizen without any citizen or residence status in Canada. I see that Canada created a visa specifically for digital nomads, which would allow a remote worker (like myself) to reside in Canada while working for a US based company. This visa looks like it only allows up to 6 months though, and I am wondering if there are any avenues for permanent immigration for a digital nomad without requiring one to find employment with a CA based company?

It would seem that Canada would welcome tax revenue from a citizen not taking up a job in Canada, but I am unsure. In any case, I am really just wondering if there is any way for me to go down the path of permanent residence and ultimately citizenship whilst remaining a remote worker (digital nomad) for a US based company?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am a US citizen without any citizen or residence status in Canada. I see that Canada created a visa specifically for digital nomads, which would allow a remote worker (like myself) to reside in Canada while working for a US based company. This visa looks like it only allows up to 6 months though, and I am wondering if there are any avenues for permanent immigration for a digital nomad without requiring one to find employment with a CA based company?

It would seem that Canada would welcome tax revenue from a citizen not taking up a job in Canada, but I am unsure. In any case, I am really just wondering if there is any way for me to go down the path of permanent residence and ultimately citizenship whilst remaining a remote worker (digital nomad) for a US based company?
Sure, that's feasible. You would basically have to qualify, apply, and be selected through an existing economic immigration program like Express Entry. Have you calculated your points under EE?

Heine03

Apr 20, 2020
Sure, that's feasible. You would basically have to qualify, apply, and be selected through an existing economic immigration program like Express Entry. Have you calculated your points under EE?
I do not believe I would qualify under express entry as I have no family or relatives in Canada and would not be coming with a Canadian job offer. Just to be sure, I even took the Express Entry qualification quiz which confirmed I did not qualify.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I do not believe I would qualify under express entry as I have no family or relatives in Canada and would not be coming with a Canadian job offer. Just to be sure, I even took the Express Entry qualification quiz which confirmed I did not qualify.
You'll need to dedicate more time to researching Canada's immigration programs if immigrating is really a priority. You don't need to have family members in Canada or relatives in Canada or a job offer in Canada to qualify or be selected under Express Entry.

It's based on points which are scored for various things including level of education, age, years of skilled work experience, language abilities (English, French), etc.

Reactions: Heine03

Heine03

Apr 20, 2020
You'll need to dedicate more time to researching Canada's immigration programs if immigrating is really a priority. You don't need to have family members in Canada or relatives in Canada or a job offer in Canada to qualify or be selected under Express Entry.

It's based on points which are scored for various things including level of education, age, years of skilled work experience, language abilities (English, French), etc.
Thank you, this was helpful. I did some express entry calculations and think my score would be much too low (406). There certainly are not any bonus points for being a "Digital Nomad" though. Do you know of any immigration avenues where being a digital nomad would be a helpful bonus, instead of a slight hinderance?

With only a score of 406, Express Entry seems woefully unlikely - and from what I can tell, none of the PNP programs are related to nor helped by me being a digital nomad. So I am just not sure what my other or best options would be. Again, I would like to think that having a migrant that pays taxes without taking up a job would be a boon, but perhaps not? Haha.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you, this was helpful. I did some express entry calculations and think my score would be much too low (406). There certainly are not any bonus points for being a "Digital Nomad" though. Do you know of any immigration avenues where being a digital nomad would be a helpful bonus, instead of a slight hinderance?

With only a score of 406, Express Entry seems woefully unlikely - and from what I can tell, none of the PNP programs are related to nor helped by me being a digital nomad. So I am just not sure what my other or best options would be. Again, I would like to think that having a migrant that pays taxes without taking up a job would be a boon, but perhaps not? Haha.
There are no immigration programs at this time that give you additional points for being a digital nomad. You'd need to look for ways to increase your points and/or qualify for one of the focused draws. Given your score is quite low, the most obvious option is for you to learn French well enough to take the French language test and score the minimum points required. This would open up options.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

In your case you would pay US taxes first and then pay the difference in Canadian taxes if you remained employed in the US so not lucrative as you may think if someone is also using services. Most would justify because people would be paying sales taxes and adding to the economy in other ways like using services but not as lucrative as you may think plus it means an additional person seeking out housing when there is a tough housing market. Assume the goal is for people to like living in Canada, hopefully start creating businesses in Canada or working for a Canadian employer.