+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I file a new PR card application if original one is in secondary review?

Rm2017

Jun 20, 2017
Here is my situation: I had landed immigrant status (so long ago that it was called that back then). I was in the US (I am American) for many years so assumed I lost it. My spouse got a job in Canada and we moved here on his work permit with our young children. Long story short, I was admitted as a returning resident when we crossed the border by car (stamp in passport) under H&C.

I enlisted an attorney who advised me to stay in Canada for two years before applying for my PR card. I did so and applied for PR card in Feb 2017 but it was sent to secondary review and they asked for the following info to be sent within 30 days. 1. Colour copies of every page of my passport
2. Government records from the countries I have travelled to in the past five years prior to my application

The wording of the part of the letter that I have a question about is below.
QUOTE:
If we do not receive the requested information within 30 days of the date above, we will consider your application for a permanent resident card cancelled. Any new information submitted after the 30 days will require a new application, fee, photos and relevant documents.
END QUOTE.

My attorney requested an extension and sent the colour copies of my passport within the 30 day deadline. I just got the US and Canada records (outside of the 30 day window) but am worried about secondary review being a black hole.

My questions are this:
1. Because of the wording of the letter saying that "any new information submitted after the 30 days will require a new application..." can I send in a new application and assume that the original application is cancelled?

2. We requested an extension (even though we have not heard back about whether or not an extension is granted) - Are extensions granted, or can we/do we take the letter at its word?

3. If I submit another application, will this cause any issues like having TWO applications in the works?

I would rather just start over at this point.

Thank you for any opinions on this matter!

Last edited:

nkam

Star Member
Dec 20, 2015
You applied for PR card after completing two years in a row? Have you submitted record of Entry from Canada showing no entry in the two years before your application?

Rm2017

Jun 20, 2017
Yes - I applied for PR card after entering and not leaving Canada for two years in a row. They asked for the records for entry into Canada and other countries I have travelled to in the past 5 years, but gave me a 30 day deadline to submit. As you may guess, it takes longer than 30 days to get those records from the US and also from Canada. I have the records now, but it has been 60+ days. I actually decided to resubmit my application based on the wording of the initial letter from IRCC that was sent to me stating that any information submitted after 30 days must be submitted with a new application.