+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I extend my stay morethan 6 month if apply for open work permit.

vikasjain2306

Jan 19, 2020
Hi,

I am having the work visa for Canada and my wife is having visitor visa. We are staying in Canada from last 3-4 months.

As per visitor visa rule my wife can stay here maximum 6 months and after that she needs to re-enter to Canada.

If I apply open work permit for her then is it possible if she can stay longer as much I have validity on my work permit. OR still she needs to re-enter to Canada after getting the open work permit.

Please help.

Thanks in Advance.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

I am having the work visa for Canada and my wife is having visitor visa. We are staying in Canada from last 3-4 months.

As per visitor visa rule my wife can stay here maximum 6 months and after that she needs to re-enter to Canada.

If I apply open work permit for her then is it possible if she can stay longer as much I have validity on my work permit. OR still she needs to re-enter to Canada after getting the open work permit.

Please help.

Thanks in Advance.
She doesn't need to re-enter. If you have a skilled job and 3 payslips, she can apply for an OWP. If not, she can apply to extend her stay as a visitor.

vikasjain2306

Jan 19, 2020
Thanks for your answer. Yes I have a skilled job and having 3 payslips. I can apply for an OWP for her so just want to make sure after getting open work permit she can stay longer till my work permit is valid, right?

As I read open work permit is just a permit to work not a visa so she will still have visitor visa in that case I thought she have to re-enter.

And for the second option for extending the stay as a visitor, I have to apply for visitor record and I think that will be approve only for a valid reason like marriage or some family function as I red in some of the article.

Please suggest what will be the best option for me to keep her stay as loner as I am having in my work permit.

Thanks in Advance for your kind help.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for your answer. Yes I have a skilled job and having 3 payslips. I can apply for an OWP for her so just want to make sure after getting open work permit she can stay longer till my work permit is valid, right?

As I read open work permit is just a permit to work not a visa so she will still have visitor visa in that case I thought she have to re-enter.

And for the second option for extending the stay as a visitor, I have to apply for visitor record and I think that will be approve only for a valid reason like marriage or some family function as I red in some of the article.

Please suggest what will be the best option for me to keep her stay as loner as I am having in my work permit.

Thanks in Advance for your kind help.
If the OWP is approved, it should be valid for the same length as your work permit.

A visitor extension can be approved for many reasons, including visiting a spouse. It does not require a reason like marriage or a family function.

It is entirely yours and your wife's decision which option is best for you guys.

vikasjain2306

Jan 19, 2020
Thanks a lot.

Just wanted to confirm if I get the OWP for her then in that case her visitor visa will be also converted to worker? Or it will remain as visitor and she can stay till Open work permit is valid without re-entry.

And If I go with the extension then how long it can be extend up to? is this max 3 months extension?

Thanks again for your help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks a lot.

Just wanted to confirm if I get the OWP for her then in that case her visitor visa will be also converted to worker? Or it will remain as visitor and she can stay till Open work permit is valid without re-entry.

Thanks again for your help.
If the OWP is approved then she can stay until the expiry date of the OWP without having to leave.

vikasjain2306

Jan 19, 2020
Thanks for your answer.

I am just wondering how her visa will be changed from visitor to worker in this case? Do I need to apply anything for converting the visa? As OWP is not a visa, its just a permit.

So How can I make sure she doesn't needs to re-enter in canada and having worker visa with open work permit.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for your answer.

I am just wondering how her visa will be changed from visitor to worker in this case? Do I need to apply anything for converting the visa? As OWP is not a visa, its just a permit.

So How can I make sure she doesn't needs to re-enter in canada and having worker visa with open work permit.
A TRV is a TRV. It has nothing to do with status in Canada and doesn't get converted. The OWP is what gives her status to stay in Canada.