+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I extend my Post Graduate Work Permit?

avikswarnakar

May 12, 2017
I am going to be in a similar situation soon, I am going to apply for my PWGP in Aug 2019 and expect to get a one year PWGP.
My question is, if you have a job offer from an employer, why can’t you apply for an extension of your open work permit after the PWGP expires, I don’t think is easy to persuade my employer to get an LMIA for me.

Secondly, with my academic and my one year work, the CRS score still fall short so wouldn’t get an ITA for my EE,
What are other options for people like me who have job but are unable to get enough points for applying their PR?

How can I continue to work even after the open work permit gets over next year 2020?
Thank you

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am going to be in a similar situation soon, I am going to apply for my PWGP in Aug 2019 and expect to get a one year PWGP.
My question is, if you have a job offer from an employer, why can’t you apply for an extension of your open work permit after the PWGP expires, I don’t think is easy to persuade my employer to get an LMIA for me.

Secondly, with my academic and my one year work, the CRS score still fall short so wouldn’t get an ITA for my EE,
What are other options for people like me who have job but are unable to get enough points for applying their PR?

How can I continue to work even after the open work permit gets over next year 2020?
Thank you
You can't just apply for an OWP because Canada protects our labour market. OWPs are only granted in specific circumstances to prevent jobs being taken from Canadian citizens/PRs.

If your employer isn't willing to apply for an LMIA and you don't qualify for EE under any of the streams, you are out of options to continue working in Canada after PGWP expiry.

This is why it is STRONGLY recommended to take a 2 year course, which grants a 3 year PGWP, or 2 back-to-back one year courses to get a 2 year PGWP.

gta88

Jun 30, 2018
Hi
You can't just apply for an OWP because Canada protects our labour market. OWPs are only granted in specific circumstances to prevent jobs being taken from Canadian citizens/PRs.

If your employer isn't willing to apply for an LMIA and you don't qualify for EE under any of the streams, you are out of options to continue working in Canada after PGWP expiry.

This is why it is STRONGLY recommended to take a 2 year course, which grants a 3 year PGWP, or 2 back-to-back one year courses to get a 2 year PGWP.
@scylla Hi ,
You mentioned on page 1 that an extension is possible if selected under EE and AOR stage is reached. Were you talking about BOWP by any chance?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi

@scylla Hi ,
You mentioned on page 1 that an extension is possible if selected under EE and AOR stage is reached. Were you talking about BOWP by any chance?
Yes. You would apply for a BOWP. Technically this is not an extension but a new work permit.

gta88

Jun 30, 2018
Yes. You would apply for a BOWP. Technically this is not an extension but a new work permit.
thanks a ton!
And can you share what an AOR looks like?
Also is it true if the person Applied through PNP then he must have a nomination letter?

Abdu2021

Jan 3, 2020
Ethiopia
Hey guys i finished my master's of Accounting and Finance last month, can i anyone help me how to find jobs inside canada plz related my education?

gta88

Jun 30, 2018
@dpenabill
Hi,
I heard people saying that PGWP can only be applied once in a lifetime. So what if a person comes here as an undergraduate student and then gets his PGWP for 3 years.
Then takes up a Masters program later.
Wouldn't he then again become eligible for a PGWP?
Could you help in understanding how the act and regulations mention this? thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@dpenabill
Hi,
I heard people saying that PGWP can only be applied once in a lifetime. So what if a person comes here as an undergraduate student and then gets his PGWP for 3 years.
Then takes up a Masters program later.
Wouldn't he then again become eligible for a PGWP?
Could you help in understanding how the act and regulations mention this? thanks
Correct - you can only obtain a PGWP once.

Correct - if someone gets a PGWP after completing an undergraduate degree and later gets a Masters, they will not qualify for another PGWP after the Masters.

gta88

Jun 30, 2018
Correct - you can only obtain a PGWP once.

Correct - if someone gets a PGWP after completing an undergraduate degree and later gets a Masters, they will not qualify for another PGWP after the Masters.
Thanks @scylla
Also, can you share happens with BOWP when PNP comes into the picture? Is nomination.letter compulsory?

And is AOR email compulsory for BOWP for boh PNP and express entry options?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks @scylla
Also, can you share happens with BOWP when PNP comes into the picture? Is nomination.letter compulsory?

And is AOR email compulsory for BOWP for boh PNP and express entry options?
Yes - nomination is compulsory for OWP with PNP.

For Express Entry - yes, you need AOR.

franky_j

Jan 26, 2020
hi , i applied to extend my Post graduate work permit in 2008 while waiting for a decision on my PR application. I got a one year extension with remarks stating TEMPORARY RESIDENT STATUS MAINTAINED AS PER R183(6). APR PENDING. Unfortunately my PR application was denied. Fast forward to December 2019, i got a nomination certificate from Alberta which gave me 600 points bringing my CRS score to 1076. I was then given another invitation to apply for express entry . i had previously applied again for a wok permit extension since my current work permit was going to expire in Nov 2019 and i just got an email that it was refused because i had no LMIA. my question is do i need to include a LMIA when applying to restore my status or is my provincial nominee certificate enough? i am about to submit my express entry application and i am thinking i could include my Provincial nominee certificate and my AOR with my application. will not having a LMIA affect my chances ? I have been working at the same company for 3 years and my employer is not willingly to get a LMIA