+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I come to Canada with just the PNP?

davide

Nov 23, 2014
Just wondering if I can come into Canada with just the PNP and apply for PR once in? Would I Need to apply for a temp work permit and other bits for my family?

Were ready to move and just want to get going but don't want to wait for the PR!

Any help would be great.

Thank you
Davide

glmmoula

Star Member
Oct 7, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
there is no way you can come in Canada before PR is done.

A.G.Pennypacker

Star Member
Jun 3, 2014
Hi Davide,

If you can find employment within the nominating province (by applying from abroad) then you may apply for a closed work permit. If you obtain a CWP then your spouse may apply for an open work permit.

Your children would be permitted to attend school if you can obtain a TRV (i.e.work permit)

You might possibly gain entrance to Canada as a student as well. A study permit would be required for this route as would full time attendance at a recognized college or university.

However, be sure to check the criteria of the province that nominated you as some provinces (like N.S.) will not accept international students. They may rescind their offer if you decide to pursue studies in Canada before PR is granted.

Hope that helps.

davide

Nov 23, 2014
Thank you

We have already applied for PNP as I have a job ready. Just read a few things about people getting the PNP and using that to secure a temp work visa at the airport. Really was wondering if anyone had done this (or thinks its a good idea!)

Why does it all have to take so long!!!

A.G.Pennypacker

Star Member
Jun 3, 2014
I'm fairly certain that to get a work permit you must have a job offer and an LMIA. I don't believe a provincial nomination by itself is enough to qualify you unless you're a nominee who's already in Canada and your current WP is due to expire in less than four months. This obviously doesn't apply to you.

Why not have your prospective employer apply for an LMIA? If successful you'd then be eligible for a WP.

A.G.Pennypacker

Star Member
Jun 3, 2014
Quick correction...

A supporting letter from the nominating province is a valid substitute for an LMIA. A job offer is still required, however.