+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I come back to Canada every year for 3 months as a non-tax resident?

shadow_of_life

Star Member
Jul 29, 2020
Hi,
I am curious if it's possible to come back to Canada for ~3 months every year to meet my PR time requirement as a non-tax resident. I will be working from abroad and work remotely during that 3 months of stay.

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
I am curious if it's possible to come back to Canada for ~3 months every year to meet my PR time requirement as a non-tax resident. I will be working from abroad and work remotely during that 3 months of stay.

Thanks
FYI - you have to come back to Canada for closer to 5 months a year to meet RO. 146 days a year if you split evenly across all five years.

shadow_of_life

Star Member
Jul 29, 2020
FYI - you have to come back to Canada for closer to 5 months a year to meet RO. 146 days a year if you split evenly across all five years.
THanks for your prompt reply! I have already stayed in Canada for 14 months and filed taxes as a resident, so I will only need to stay in Canada couple of months before I submit my PR renewal application. I am about to start working abroad but still want to keep my PR, that's why I ask the question.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Initially, it's probably doable in your situation. The issue will be after the initial renewal if you continue to work as a non resident. As the initial years fall off, you'll fall out of compliance. Remember you can't access things like health care or own property during your visits or you run a strong risk of loosing the non residency status from CRA ( not necessarily related to the topic).

Reactions: shadow_of_life

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
THanks for your prompt reply! I have already stayed in Canada for 14 months and filed taxes as a resident, so I will only need to stay in Canada couple of months before I submit my PR renewal application. I am about to start working abroad but still want to keep my PR, that's why I ask the question.
In that case, should be doable provided you meet the CRA criteria (i.e don't have ties to Canada).

shadow_of_life

Star Member
Jul 29, 2020
Initially, it's probably doable in your situation. The issue will be after the initial renewal if you continue to work as a non resident. As the initial years fall off, you'll fall out of compliance. Remember you can't access things like health care or own property during your visits or you run a strong risk of loosing the non residency status from CRA ( not necessarily related to the topic).
This is super helpful. I will keep that in mind. Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Tax residency is not purely related to time spent in Canada. It has to do with ties to Canada from dependent family, property, financial accounts as well as time. You will need CRA to assess your tax residency status even if you inform CRA that you are a non-resident.