+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CAN I CHANGE VISA STATUS AFTER ARRIVING CANADA? HELP!

nozomi0530

Jul 22, 2011
So, I'm from Japan and I'm going to high school in Canada this september. It seems like it's a little too late for me to apply for my study permit, so I'm thinking about going to Canada with visitor visa (actually Japanese aren't required visitor visa) and then go to Canadian Embassy in the US and apply for study permit, and wait for it while attending high school. Is it legal? Thank you in advance.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

nozomi0530 said:
So, I'm from Japan and I'm going to high school in Canada this september. It seems like it's a little too late for me to apply for my study permit, so I'm thinking about going to Canada with visitor visa (actually Japanese aren't required visitor visa) and then go to Canadian Embassy in the US and apply for study permit, and wait for it while attending high school. Is it legal? Thank you in advance.
No, you can't attend school without the study permit in your hot little hand.

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nozomi0530 said:
Must apply for study permit from your Country.

descan2011dr

Feb 16, 2011
nozomi0530 said:
You are allowed to study without study permit for 6 months or less. So if you are in hurry to start immediately, talk to high school representatives and tell them your plan (what you wrote here). They should be able to let you attend school. If not, go to USA (I know Japanese don't need USA visa if visiting for 6 months or less) and apply for initial study permit. You should be alright. Don't need to worry.
Don't take answers from this forum seriously. All the information you need is in CIC website. Just read it and you will know yourself. If you need more clarification, ask me.

Raj the great