+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I change my program in the same DLI from a 1 year program to a 2 year program after receiving a Canadian study visa?

Aditsharma3

Apr 8, 2023
I would personally send a webform to IRCC with your new LOA just to update your file. No need for a new study permit. Yes you’ll need to show your new LOA when getting your SP. You’ll need to apply to extend your study permit if your new degree is 2 years not 1 year. I would suggest applying 6 months before your study permit expires and at least 6 months before graduation given current processing times. Wouldn’t worry you are taking an advanced degree at a good university. The concern was/is really when people apply for advanced degrees and then change do easier degrees and often at schools that are less reputable.
Correct, so yes I did raise a webform with the updated LOA, Visa letter issued by the university and a letter of explaination for my situation. For which ai received a confirmation that the provided files have been added to my file for an officer to review and other than that I received no other reply. Hope that is okay?
Also since my masters is fully funded by the university and the PG program had a fees and I need to withdraw from it and ask for refund, so can I go ahead with the withdrawal anf refund hope that wont affect my entry at the time at the Canadian border?

mile80

Star Member
Jun 1, 2023
Hello, how was your arriving in Canada? The officer gave u the study permit ? Please share your experience, I am in the same boat