+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can i change my job

navveer

Apr 15, 2012
hi there
i want to ask that if i come to alberta on work permit. it is a fix permit with my employer (for example--´x´).
can i find other job or it is illegal?
how many months i have to work obligatory with employer´x´?
and after how many months can i apply for PR ?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

navveer said:
hi there
i want to ask that if i come to alberta on work permit. it is a fix permit with my employer (for example--´x´).
can i find other job or it is illegal?
how many months i have to work obligatory with employer´x´?
and after how many months can i apply for PR ?

1. You can find a new employer, who would have to get a new LMO after advertising for 2 weeks. If it is approved you could apply to Vegreville for a new work permit. You can't start work at the new job until you have the new work permit.
2. You probably have to give 2 weeks notice.
3. You have to explore if you will be eligible since there are over 50 ways to become a PR.

navveer

Apr 15, 2012
PMM said:
Hi

1. You can find a new employer, who would have to get a new LMO after advertising for 2 weeks. If it is approved you could apply to Vegreville for a new work permit. You can't start work at the new job until you have the new work permit.
2. You probably have to give 2 weeks notice.
3. You have to explore if you will be eligible since there are over 50 ways to become a PR.
thanx a lot buddy.......

1. can i say to my employer to change my work permit to an open work permit?
does he have authority to do so,?
or once he has offered me with fix permit, then i have to stay with the same employer till the validity?

( i mean to say that for example i am in alberta working with an employer on a fix work permit,. after 4-5 months i want a new job. i cant find a new job because i had a fix permit with my employer, but does my employer have authority to change my fix permit to open permit? so that i can find job easily)

plz reply soon...

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

navveer said:
thanx a lot buddy.......

1. can i say to my employer to change my work permit to an open work permit?
does he have authority to do so,?
or once he has offered me with fix permit, then i have to stay with the same employer till the validity?

( i mean to say that for example i am in alberta working with an employer on a fix work permit,. after 4-5 months i want a new job. i cant find a new job because i had a fix permit with my employer, but does my employer have authority to change my fix permit to open permit? so that i can find job easily)

plz reply soon...

1. It would appear that you are not eligible for an open work permit. You either have to be spouse of a Temporary skilled worker, spouse of a student, or a spouse of Post Graduate Worker, who is in a skilled position or an "in Canada" spousal application who has received first level approval or Live In Caregiver who has applied for PR.
2. Employers can't change work permits.

navveer

Apr 15, 2012
PMM said:
Hi

1. It would appear that you are not eligible for an open work permit. You either have to be spouse of a Temporary skilled worker, spouse of a student, or a spouse of Post Graduate Worker, who is in a skilled position or an "in Canada" spousal application who has received first level approval or Live In Caregiver who has applied for PR.
2. Employers can't change work permits.
thanx buddy

1. employer cant change work permit, but can he apply for me to change my permit.
(for example.- if he send me work permit for 1 year and in 7 months his work has been done. then i will have no work. then can my employer apply to cahnge my fix permit to open to find another job. becaue he has no more job.and i have left 5 months work visa yet.)

2. if i left 5 months of my work visa, but the work (for which i came to canada) has been done. have i right to find another job?coz i have some more time in canada.
or depends on the other employers ?

what is the law??

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1) No. It is impossible for your employer to change your closed work permit to an open work permit.
2) Yes - you can find another job. But your new employer will have to obtain an approved LMO and then you will have to apply for a new closed work permit that will be tied to your new employer.

Vancouvergirl

Apr 17, 2012
What would happen if you've been with the same employer for 5 years in Alberta and then they let go of you, and you just recently received your nomination for Permanent Residency? Will that person be sent back to his country? or will he be given enough time to look for another job? and what will happen to his nomination?