+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I cancel PGWP ?

LLTYH

Dec 26, 2019
Upon finishing my degree (Master's) in Canadian university, I got PGWP.

However, since it was hard to find job, I admitted higher degree of program (PhD).

In my understanding, PGWP is one time chance visa so I would not be able to apply it again upon finishing my current PhD program.

In this regard, can I cancel PGWP at this moment so that I can resume it after my graduation? I know it would very impossible...but I need ideas anything that I can do.

Because PhD program takes at least 4 years, and I don't want to go back to home country after long period of study here in Canada..

My PGWP validity is 3 years and it has been 12 months, so 24 months left.

PhD program began this year so expected to be finished 4 years later.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

However, since it was hard to find job, I admitted higher degree of program (PhD).

In my understanding, PGWP is one time chance visa so I would not be able to apply it again upon finishing my current PhD program.

In this regard, can I cancel PGWP at this moment so that I can resume it after my graduation? I know it would very impossible...but I need ideas anything that I can do.

Because PhD program takes at least 4 years, and I don't want to go back to home country after long period of study here in Canada..

No, you cannot cancel a PGWP.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Unfortunately it's not possible to cancel the PGWP. Your understanding of the PGWP rules is correct, this visa can only be granted to an individual once.

Once you finish your PhD, you will need to find a way to secure a closed work permit either through an LMIA supported job or through an LMIA exempt job offer.