+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I (Canadian citizen) sponsor my British spouse while living in UK?

Charlemaiden

May 24, 2011
Hey all,
New to the forum. I've been married to my British husband & living in UK since 2007, my husband and I are ready to look to return to Canada to settle there. Please help! Can I sponsor my husband while living in the UK? How would our application proceed if we are unable to arrange housing & employment beforehand?
PS. My family is all in Canada and are willing to help us with any practical aspects of our return.
Thanks all
Charlemaiden x x

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can but you need to show some plans to move to Canada when he gets his PR. If you are unable to arrange employment and housing, you can at least write out your plans for where you will be living and what kind of job you are looking for. Letters from friends and family stating that they know of your moving plans will help and especially if you have one from somebody who will let you stay at their place while you look for an apartment.

If you fail to prove to immigration that you plan to move to Canada when your husband gets his PR, they can deny your application which would mean that you would have to come to Canada either alone or with him as a visitor and apply again.

Charlemaiden

May 24, 2011
Leon,
How far in advance would I be able to make my application as sponsor (we probably won't be able to make my husband's application for several months due to other circumstances at this time).

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
Both the sponsor application and the PR application should be submitted at the same time to CPC Mississauga. Once a decision has been made (currently taking 70 days) they will forward the application to London.
London usually take another 3-4 months to make a decision, but it can be up to 8 months. When you receive the visa you will have until the expiry date of the medical to 'land', this will be the expiry date of the visa. (The medical expires 1 year after it took place, and it has to take place before you submit to CPC-M)
Once landed you can then return to the UK if necessary, you don't have to move right away.

In order to maintain PR status your husband will have to spend 2 out of 5 years living in Canada.

I don't know what your reasons are for not being able to submit the PR application yet, but like I said, you only need to 'land' before the visa expires, not move.

Other proof of returning to canada could be contact you have made with a real estate agent... or printouts of job searches in the area. Letters from family stating you will stay with them until you get on your feet. Or quotes from moving/shipping companies.

Join the outland London thread for more questions.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/thread-for-outland-london-uk-applications-t49436.2955.html

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'd just like to add to what pinklady said that normally a PR must stay in Canada for 2 years in every 5 to keep his PR status but in the case that he is living with a Canadian citizen spouse in another country, he is exempted from that rule